Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a HP G2 laptop, hard drive failed and I replaced with SSD. ( so new load of Win 7, and I've done this twice in last few days )

System has 4 GB RAM and CPU is Atlon P340 dual core.

When I power up I get a continuous beep tone, however if I press ESC key it goes to Bios select F1, F2, f9 key etc.

If I press return it boots almost normally except that when password entry field appears it starts to fill with dashes.

If I back space over these, and enter my password then as far as I can tell everything works correct and as expected.

Keyboard entry programs like word, wordpad, open office all work 100 % normally, but once I shutdown I need to go thru the procedure above to get into Windows. It seems like there is something wrong with BIOS keyboard driver???? but that doesn't explain the issues either.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.