Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp envy x360 convertible 15m-dr1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have installed ubuntu on my hp envy x360 convertible 15m-dr1xxx (i7 12GB ram, 512ssd) 

https://itsfoss.com/install-ubuntu-1404-dual-boot-mode-windows-8-81-uefi/

i disabled fastboot and secureboot. everything goes fine but after ubuntu is installed and i reboot, it boots into windows 10.  there is no choice to boot into ubuntu!  I have tried hitting f9/10/11 during boot sequence but none of those help.

How can I get this thing to boot into ubuntu?  this is driving me crazy.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@yohelloworld 

I'm sorry, but we here are not equipped to provide detailed Linux support.

HP only warranties their PCs for usage with the OS that comes preinstalled. IF you replace that with Linux, or add a Linux OS, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that -- as HP provides Linux assistance only on Redhat and then only to commercial customers.

The primary "challenge" to using Linux on any HP PC is the availability of Linux drivers. Any hardware that does not work will then range from simple (if there are Linux drivers available) to impossible (if there are NO Linux drivers available) to fix.

Since HP does not provide Linux drivers, your best bet for Linux support is to contact the support forum for the Linux distro you are using -- in this case, the Ubuntu Forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/

Folks on Linux support forums have experience using a variety of machines with Linux and know a lot about driver and installation issues. You will be able to get sound and detailed help there.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks.

the problem is not running ubuntu, it runs fine when booting from usb flashdrive.  problem is that the system does not give ability to choose linux as the OS to boot into.  How can we choose what system to boot?  that's all I really need.

I have installed linux on a number of machines and haven't run into this problem before.

HP Recommended

Hi, 
I have the same problem! I installed the latest LTS version of Ubuntu and then used Grub2win to set up a dual boot menu... worked fine while I was booting into Ubuntu Linux but as soon as I booted into Win10, it seems to have overwritten the changes made by Grub2Win and I no longer have dual boot..... 
Ive not had this problem on any other machine....
Is there any kind of solution.... can we tweak BIOS or Win10 settings to stop this overwriting of Dual Boot settings? 

HP Recommended

I may have stumbled upon the solution to the dual boot problem on my HP Envy x360 Convertible....

For what its worth this is how the problem was fixed :
The one prerequisite is that you have to have run Grub2Win and set up OS menus from a Windows 10 session previously...

Once you have done that....shutdown and  power up your machine....
...interrupt the startup the process with F10 to enter the BIOS settings...

Within BIOS settings, select the 'System Configuration' tab...

scroll down to 'UEFI Boot Order' --> 'OS Boot Manager'..... hit enter/return key
... a window should pop up and show you your Bootup Options, see attached screenshot...

Use F5/F6 change value keys to ensure that Grub2Win EFI is the first option in the list....
Then press F10 to save and exit... and you're done...
I tested this procedure by booting up first into Windows 10 and then updated and shutdown and then booted up into Ubuntu and exit... I did that few times and at all times I was presented with the Grub2win menu and was able to select which OS to boot into..... which is what I wanted.... lets hope it keeps working....

Let me know if it works for you too.
Regards, Rui 
HPEnvyX360BIOSsettingsScreen.jpg

HP Recommended

Thank you.  I still couldn't get it to work, so I bought another m2 ssd drive and was able to install ubuntu on it and it boots the machine into ubuntu. 

Now the problem is that it does not detect the wifi adaptor.  I'm able to connect to the net over usb-c and my phone, but would like to get wifi working.  Do you know how to get it working on the hp envy x360 convertible 15m-dr1xxx ?

HP Recommended

I found the answer here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1196308/wifi-adapter-ax201-not-found-ubuntu-18-04

sudo apt install linux-generic-hwe-18.04-edge
HP Recommended

I have the same laptop and I am not getting grub menu. I tried many Solutions it just straight up goes into windows. What exactly did you do with m.2 SSD? how do you boot into windows?

HP Recommended

I used the entire ssd for linux, there is no windows on it and so I don't boot into windows.

I don't know why hp made this so difficult.   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.