Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
14bp-066sa

when i try turn on my laptop the screen remains black then the caps lock buttons flashes 5 times. 

i have tried all the unplugging and holding down differnt keys but nothing is successful

any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hey There! @JATKINSON95, Welcome to HP forums!  

I understand you have issues booting into your PC and the light on caps lock is blinking 5 times repeatedly.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Are you able to boot into BIOS on your PC?

As you mentioned you have issues booting into your PC and the light on caps lock is blinking 5 times repeatedly.

The error indicates embedded controller has timed out waiting for the BIOS to return from system board initialization (end of POST).

The blinks indicate system board failure on your PC.

Try restoring the BIOS to default and check if it helps.

1.    Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
2.    Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
3.    On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
4.    Press F10 to Save and Exit.
5.    Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
6.    Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Refer this article to know more information about recovering the BIOS. Link: https://hp.care/2iCzhMD

Also, refer this article to know more information about blinking lights on your PC. Link: https://hp.care/2LwKtor

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know how it goes! 
Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
This isn’t working for me
HP Recommended

@Jemarijohnson1,

It looks like you were interacting with @A4Apollo, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service. 

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. 

Please use the link from the previous post to get in touch with our HP phone support. I'm sure they would be able to go ahead and assist you with your issue.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,
It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hi,

you probably already have your answer but anway.

i have the same problem, i called and they said i need a new mainboard.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue.Support site saying that motherboard failure.I solved this issues.Please check the video.

https://youtu.be/7pknjK2jH8s

HP Recommended

I just had the same issue, so I powered it off and then I pressed the power button and held it pressed for approximately 30s, then the laptop could boot fine again.

HP Recommended

I had to send it back to the factory and thay had to replace the motherboard. 

HP Recommended

Let me know if you find anything. I have tried everything 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.