Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my new laptop kept overheating, fans kicking in all the time, then id get the thermal shutdown error message on start up, turns out all power settings were wrong, once adjusted , it fixed over heating issue but now and again id still get thermal shutdown error message then it would shut down on start up, then it wouldnt power up at all, id have to leave it for a while charging, then id attempt to boot up again, would take several attempts then would start up, next few times of starting up it would start up ok, then same issue would occur, now recently its saying cmos checksum invalid and sometimes both error messages appear, ive updated bios, diagnostics etc tried resetting cmos but dont know if it was successful, i want to send it in for repair as under warranty but cant find any option to do so, virtual assistant is useless, any help appreciated

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi@nro83, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Request you to follow the below troubleshooting steps from the document:-

Not to worry of cmos checksum is invalid .Update the BIOS that should fix the issue 

• Dust inside the laptop.  
  • A new component, such as a hard drive, is added. The extra component causes the power supply to work harder and generate more heat. Extra heat also radiates off the new component and adds to the temperature inside the case.  
  • Over time, some cooling fans might slow down and wear out, as the laptop is getting hot, depending on the usage of the laptop.  
  • High ambient room temperature.  

Step 1: Removing dust and lint by cleaning vents  

Step 2: Ensuring proper space for ventilation  

Step 3: Updating the BIOS  ( Make sure Power adaptor connected to notebook )

Step 4: Using HP CoolSense technology  

Step  5: Update the Windows 

Step  6:Update Drivers from HP Support Assistance 

LINk: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03413399

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Tried all that, updated bios etc tried doing a boot fix & it says access denied, it started up fine the past three times I used it then I get the thermal shutdown message even though the laptop never overheated & never shutdown, then I press enter and the laptop turns off, I have to wait for abit then keep trying to boot then eventually it will load as normal, sometimes Windows will try to do an automatic repair but it says it can't repair, the laptop is brand new, I want it sorting as its under warranty, how do I go about that? 

HP Recommended

Hi @nro83,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.  

As this is a hardware issue, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer. 

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.   

Have a great day!  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

HP Recommended

I'm from the UK, there is no option to start a case/repair, the laptop is definately under warranty, how do I contact someone to get the laptop repaired? I've never known such bad customer service

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.