Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

dv4000, bad bios flash recovery

pavilion dv4000
Microsoft Windows XP

ok so i wanted to boot via usb, no such options, did some reading and found a few people who have flashed from f.02 to f.13, also from f.12 to f.17. so i figured i would flash from inside windows using winflash.. all went ok until the reboot. screen unresponsive, no indication that the screen is on, media keys come on, power led on, HD led on for like 60 seconds.

so i did som reaserch regarding recovery. key combinations do nothing, no beeps no flashing caps lock or other. tried HP bios update utility from sp69887 just to create the usb flash drive, again nothing. has anyone successfully recovered dv4000 bios to original? and no bios reset did not work. anyone find the actual f.12 bios file for the DV4000? i did not do the crisis recovery since my combination key fail to do anything. i tried to connect to vga and same result.

3 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16380 1315 2235
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@hector2016

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out :)

As I understand the computer doesn't boot back into the windows since the last attempt on updating/Flashing the BIOS,

Don't worry I'll help you out, however, I need a few more details to provide an accurate solution:

Do you know if this was a BIOS or a windows update?

When was the last time it worked (Date) ?

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on HP Forums?

In the meantime, please attempt the below steps:

Start with a hard reset to release any excessive static on the PC:

• If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.
  • If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.
  • With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.
  • With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.
  • Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Attempt to reset or recover the existing BIOS (if the recent update was interrupted): Click here

Step 1: Verify the current BIOS version installed and the correct ROM Family SSID for your PC

Step 2: Find the BIOS updates

Step 3: Download and install the BIOS update

For more details: Click here

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
hector2016 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Do you know if this was a BIOS or a windows update? 

THIS WAS A BIOS UPDATE USING WINFLASH

When was the last time it worked (Date) ?

Just before I did the BIOS FLASH

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on HP Forums?

YES I have tried the items below already. and no such luck

I CANNOT FIND the f.12 bios that it had, nothing.

I have tried the bis recovery method described here on the hp website, but when i press the windows key + B nothing happens no blinking of any kind any where, all the media keys light up the power lights up the DVD spins, the HD light blinks then stops with all other led lights on and nothing on the screen. I do know that the bios was phoenix.

Step 1: Verify the current BIOS version installed and the correct ROM Family SSID for your PC

Step 2: Find the BIOS updates

Step 3: Download and install the BIOS update

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16380 1315 2235
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@hector2016

Thanks for pointing that out, ;)

Although I did ask for the date so that you could attempt a system restore but considering it's not booting, that's out of the question,

If the bios recovery didn't work, though, you've attempted exactly as mentioned in the document,

I would recommend contacting the phone support for further assistance.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation