Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I was using my laptop when suddenly it turned off. When I tried to turn it on again, it will turn the blue on/off button on, and the keyboard lights, and go for about 3 seconds, then turn itself on again.

It then turns its self on again after it just turned itself off (after booting for 3 seconds) and then continues this process until I pull the plug.

When the laptop turns on for those 3 seconds, I can hear and feel the fan turn on and the harddrive start to spin, then it turns off. 

I have removed the battery, and have bought a new cable. I have tried it with just the power to it, it still does the same thing.

What would this be? Fried hard drive? Fried memory? Dead motherboard?

Any help appreciated.

36 REPLIES 36
HP Recommended

Hi, I'm having similiar problem. When I press power button it stays on for 3 seconds and then blinks continuously.

I hear fan etc. for that 3 seconds. Technician in PC World told me it's motherboard failure. Hope he's wrong because

laptop is only 3 years old. Presario c542ea. Can anybody out there give me better news?

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue with my HP Pavillion - series dv9700 - model dv9810.  It had been taking longer to boot up recently but just this week failed to boot and as stated previously it will only attempt startup for a few seconds and then power cycle and repeat until I hold the power button ot pop the power ad battery.

A friend mentioned hearing that it was a known issue with motherboard on some HP laptops and that HP had extended the warranty... but as of yet I have found nothing on the web to back that comment.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

HP entertainment laptops are defective. Nvidia graphics cards were defective. HP knew this from early on,,,but they have deceived us for years,,,usually only informing customers once their units were out of warranty.

Nvidia admitted that they made defective graphics cards,,,which caused the motherboards to overheat. I have 2 defective HP door stops. All one needs to do is google "defective HP Laptops" 

Good luck,,,,as for me,,,I purchased an Apple. 

HP Recommended

I have the Same Problem,,, Lapto DV 9000,  vista   and suddenlty  blinking  lights every  3 seconds... 

THIS really  pisses me off,,   just  obtained a year and  half ago...

HP  Should warranty their products,  ,,,  when  we pay so much  money for the products...

Does anybody have any  Luck getting them  fixed....   from HP,,   or ? 

HP Recommended

I am also having the same problem with my hp dv9700 / dv9819wm 

first it started having problems recognizing the cd/dvd drive

then  it started shutting itself off on me

then i go to turn it back on one day and the blue led lights come on and then off again the laptop will not boot 

after research i have found that there seems there could be a manufactures defect with these particular models / series

I contacted HP and I was told that they could fix the problem for  $269  plus  shipping

i can almost get a new laptop for that much money

and i would probably think twice before buying anything that has the hp logo on it

i can get a refurbished Mac for $300 I hear that the have far less problems

for now I am sending my laptop to have the motherboard" reflowed"  which means to heat it up to reconnect the graphics proccesor chip to the tune of  $ 51 plus shipping

if that doesn't work I hope HP can send me a replacement motherboard at or below cost its the least they could do right

HP Recommended

give kudos if you are having any of these issues

HP Recommended

Give kudos people lets get this thing noticed

HP Recommended

just read this. please see my post "no display no bios."

other's have answered there with the same problem.

& I we have the 3 seconds lights on then off.

My computer is the dv4 (entertainment) -- but if I recall, it doesn't have an nVidia card--an ATI instead.

I (we) have no display whatsoever.

Are we all having the same problem?

If so, is there a fix-- my system went out of warranty a few months ago.

Bob

HP Recommended

I too am having the same problem with my Pavilion DV6700, no blinking lights just powers up for a few seconds the turns off.....i am a bit bemused to how it would be a overheating issue as literally this morning i was booting from cold and still the same problem......i am going to have to resort to taking out my motherboard and reflowing the graphics chip solder i dont have anything to lose by doing this ....my laptop is as good as a doorstop anyway

@stars1234 wrote:

My computer is the dv4 (entertainment) -- but if I recall, it doesn't have an nVidia card--an ATI instead.

Bob

@stars1234 wrote:

Bob

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.