1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post
HP Recommended

elitebook 2570p black screen, caps lock flashing

Elitebook 2570p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

model: Elitebook 2570p ;  product: C6Z50UT#ABA

Unit was running properly yesterday and was left running overnight. A Windows-10 automatic update was scheduled to occur at midnight. I happened to glance at the unit about 15 minutes after midnight and it had a black screen, the status lights on the the three buttons on the top right (wifi, globe, sound) were illuminated, and the LED on the caps lock button was flashing steadily (one flash per second). The status lights on the front edge indicated no disk activity taking place. I thought this might be part of the Windows-update process (plus I was half asleep) so I left the unit until morning, at which time I found it in the same non-functional state. Restarted it several times - same result. Hard reset (battery & power removed, held power key down for 30 seconds, restored power, pressed power key) - same result. 

I understand that on this model, a caps-lock flash code of one steady blink indicates a CPU problem. (How a genuine CPU malfunction could be instigated by a Windows update is a puzzlement, so I am slightly skeptical that this is the actual problem..)

Is there a way to confirm that it's truly a CPU problem?

Do any community members have any stories of successful attempts to fix this problem? (I've seen some posts out there suggesting some pretty strange remedies - one person wrapped the unit in a sweater and left it running until it shut itself down, whereupon it booted successfully!! - but I think I'd rather try something a bit more logical first.. and, besides, I don't even know what KIND of sweater to use.. a pullover? a cardigan?? cotton? argyle? Would a sweatshirt work??)

I'm inclined to try reseating the CPU but I don't want to do more damage if there's a less risky fix to try first. 

Suggestions? 

thanks!

Hal

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation