rhondabo
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

fingerprint scanner came on by itself

Pavilion dv7 BIOS IS iNSYDELH2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Ok this is just crazy, first I uninstalled CC Cleaner then I installed Speedfixtool and Avast for my daughter's virus protection and malwearbites then when I rebooted it asked me for a fingerprint!! This is not what she uses, she only uses a password! When I try to move the mouse, it will not move, when i attempt to type in the password, it will not type!! Please someone help me before she comes home and skins me alive, these were the ONLY things done to the computer, how can this happen??

This is a HP Pavillion DV7 running Windows 7Home Premium the bios is  InsydelH20 so it cannot be disabled in bios unless you have some other idea....... HELP!!!!

If the bios was the other one which is more normal, I could disable it in there.... But it is of course the one that you can't disable it in...

I have never seen where installing software can do this at all!! Please HELP ME

Thanks in advance, I can only find people who WANT the reader, I do not and I need to be able to get her back on her computer, she is going to freak out!!

5 REPLIES 5
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,905
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HI @rhondabo,

Thank you for your inquiry.

I grasp that you daughter normally uses a password to login to Windows. After uninstalling CC Cleaner, installing Speedfixtool, Avast and Malwarebytes, when you rebooted it is asked for a fingerprint. When you attempt to type in the password, the keyboard does not respond.  

First, I would try a hard or forced reset. HP Notebook PCs - Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues. Be sure to remove any peripherals such as USBs,  memory cards, printers or external monitors.  If you connect an external keyboard does it respond? If you boot to the bios does the keyboard work?  If you boot into safe mode does the keyboard respond?  HP PCs - Windows 7 Safe Mode.If the issue should still remain, you could do a recovery back to factory settings.   HP PCs - Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 7). There is an option during the recovery process to back up the data to prevent loss. HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 7). If you have not created recovery media, you can acquire a recovery kit from HP.  Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support.

Please let me know the results.

To express appreciation for my post please click the “Thumbs Up Icon.  If my post resolves the issue you are experiencing, please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find what worked for you! 

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
rhondabo
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard reset was a no go. Yes the keys function just fine in any other instance, no issue there, it is the biometrics that is the cause of this pickle. Since I have the admin password is it possible to edit biometrics out of the registry?? Just curioius, being an old DOS person of the 80's I was one of the last to turn on Windows, my have I come a long way. There has to be a simple fix to this, I do not get how or why this could possibly happen under these circumstances. 

Also, while I do have you on the horn, this computer was purchased brand new from the HP website, but it did not come with a disk set of windows. How would we even be able to do a complete reinstall if needed? I have all of that for mine, but really did not think about hers until this happened? 

Please advise, and thank you so much for trying to assist!! 🙂

Rhonda

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,905
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @rhondabo,

Thank you for the update.

Altering the bios is out of my support bounds, but you should be able to uninstall the HP Simplepass software which runs the fingerprint reader.  Here is a link to  HP Notebook PCs - Using HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader (Windows 7, Vista) as a guide. You could also add your fingerprint to the account information to enable you to login by swiping your finger.

When the notebook was first setup, there would have been a prompt to create recovery disks. This is a one time process.  As you do have access to the notebook, if a recovery set has not yet been created, now would be a good time to consider it.  HP PCs - Creating Recovery Discs or Saving a Recovery Image to a USB Flash Drive (Windows 7). Another link that you may also find useful is HP PCs - Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive. As you stated you have admin rights. you can set the password on all accounts. As it is not recognizing her password, you could try setting it as a new password or change it all together.  Please keep me updated.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
rhondabo
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok, I have restored the computer to another date, can i now do a clean install? I have no recovery or other disks as they didnt come with the computer. Further, I do not understand how that can be the software was included in the price but yet no disks? Anyway, she has everything off of the computer and I think this would be better than all the installing uninstalling, etc. of software considering that it will make it much faster, right? This is the problem to begin with prior to installing all these extra programs. 

I anxiously await your response, she really needs the computer, I cannot believe that this has happened.... SIGH

Thanks again!

Rhonda

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,905
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi@rhondabo,

Thank you for the update.

HP no longer provided recovery media with the purchase of a new notebook.  However, when the notebook is first setup , the new user is prompted to create recovery disks.  If a set has not yet been created you should still have that option.  If there are no issues with the Recovery Manager you should be able to do a recovery back to factory settings. Here are links to assist you with creating the recovery media and doing  a recovery back to factory settings. During the recovery process, there is an option to backup your personal data to prevent loss.. HP PCs - Creating Recovery Discs or Saving a Recovery Image to a USB Flash Drive (Windows 7),HP PCs - Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 7) and HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 7....

Good Luck!

Please keep me updated.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation