3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

force laptop to see new dis

Envy 17-n152na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

Just upgarded a hdd to a ssd and cannot get laptop to boot..

Boot now fails as it cannot find \Windows\system32\winload.efi

f9 shows list of available devices and it show old disk that has been removed and does not know that new one exists.

How do I force laptop to see new SSD.

I have used diskpart and made active the C: partition but that does not seem to work.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

David

5 REPLIES 5
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
20,584 20,196 1,687 2,761
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DavidCF I recommend you use the below steps to turn off the secure boot, followed by turning on the legacy boot to resolve this issue and also, ensure the SSD you've inserted is tested and approved to work on your device: click here for details and visit page. 20 Chapter 3 Illustrated parts catalog

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
DavidCF Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there,,

Thank you for your reply.

I used the manual from

https://support.hp.com/ie-en/product/hp-envy-17-n100-notebook-pc/8499288/model/9044599

that gave me the closest info on the laptop I have

The basic Envy 17 manual is nothing like my 17-n152na.

I agree in the manual there is no reference to any type of SSD but I know it can be seen as I can dir it if I boot into support mode from a Windows 10 install disk.  It shows all the contents of the drive and I can list

Windows/System32/Winload.efi 

This is the file that fails to load during boot of the new setup.

My main problem is based on step 15 of the following page

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04784866

Top line shows OS boot manager (UEFI)  - Windows boot manager  ( NAME OF SEEN DEVICE )

My problem is this name is the now non existent hard drive.

How do I force the BIOS to scan for a new drive in that location

It should at least tell me it cannot see anything.

Comments Please.

Thanks

David

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DavidCF You may need to follow the below steps as it isn't booting after installing the new hardware after installing a new compatible hardware such as a video card or HDD/SSD, Secure Boot might not recognize it. Return the computer to its original state, and then enable Legacy Boot to install the new component.

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Uninstall the new hardware or component, and then reinstall the original component.

3. Press the power button to turn on the computer, and then immediately press the F10 key repeatedly until the Computer Setup Utility opens.

4. Use the arrow keys to select the Security menu, select Secure Boot Configuration, and then press Enter.

Secure Boot Configuration selection in the Security window

5. Press F10 on the Secure Boot Configuration message to continue.

Secure Boot Configuration window

6. Use the arrow keys to select Disable next to Secure Boot, and then select Enable next to Legacy Support.

Secure Boot Configuration window

7. Press F10 to accept the changes.

8. Press F10 again, and then press Enter twice to restart the computer.

Save Changes and Exit selection

9. Type the four-digit code displayed in the Operating System Boot Mode Change message, and then press Enter to confirm the change.

NOTE: 

Make sure you type the code correctly. There is no text field to see what you are typing. This is expected behavior.

Boot mode change message

10. Turn off the computer. reinstall the new component, and then restart the computer.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
DavidCF Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there, Thanks for the reply. I am sorry but you have lost me. Secure login only applies after Windows starts, mine cannot as the new hard drive is not seen by the bios. The graphics card Drivers only load after windows starts to Boot. I carried out the same upgrade (SSD replacing a HDD) on a very old Toshiba Laptop that was built when Windows 7 was the latest OS. The BIOS was written by H2O and after I had checked that the BIOS could see the new disk and it would be 2nd in the boot flow I then changed the secure login to off. This HP bios is not seeing the new hardware so does not know what OS it will be running. Comments Please. Thanks, David.
0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DavidCF The steps I've suggested are before windows starts, that said, you can always update the BIOS using this method: click here for details (look under Recover the BIOS using a USB recovery drive) and if the drive isn't detected after the BIOS is updated using the latest version available: click here for steps, then the drive isn't tested or supported by HP, you may want to check with an alternate drive.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation