04-30-2016 02:02 PM
I replaced my HDD in my HP ProBook 640 G1 with a fresh blank. I forgot my BIOS password & there's no halt code so now I can't get into the BIOS to switch the boot sequence to install an OS. Please help.
05-01-2016 03:39 AM
Unfortunately, business machines such as Probooks or Elitebooks have more stringent security than consumer models - they don't produce 'halt codes', the password cannot be derived from the Serial No. and the code is stored in non-volatile memory so removing the RTC cell will not reset the password in this case.
If you Contact HP Business support they should be able to send you a customised SMC.bin file which you can use at boot to reset the password.
****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****
Windows Insider MVP
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Black Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Blue Screen (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Starts but Screen Remains Blank (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)