Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp 255 g6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i bought a used laptop off craigs, hp 255 g6.  worked fine with win 10, a little slow, so i decided to order more ram.  

opened it up, found that the Western Digital hard drive was missing the caddy and i replaced with a used caddy from ebay. (did not change the ram, just added a caddy)

turning the laptop on, it says "boot device not found" and the Short DST failed, throwing error message:

Failure ID:  0LU468-0008G1-XD7W3G-60SK03  (basically a failing hard drive)

i took that HD out and replaced with a known working harddrive, a toshiba HD, and upon startup, it passed the Short DST, but failed the Long DST, telling me: boot device not found.  Hard disk 3F0

Failure ID:  0LU468-0008G1-XD7W3G-61AB03 (another failing hard drive?  odd, since i pulled it from my working laptop...)

i can't find a list of what these error codes mean.  i find it difficult to believe that two known working hard drives suddenly fail when installed in this laptop.  

should i replace the hard drive connector board and ribbon cable?  does anyone know what these failure codes mean?  is there a chart somewhere?  all i'd like to do is get this laptop back up and running again to give to my daughter for school.... all suggestions welcome!  penny

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The disk failure codes do not really provide much info. 

They devote most of their energy generating the serial number of your PC.

Here is the report generated by the first code you posted, minus your notebook's serial number.

Failure Information
Failure ID Tag Checksum HP Serial Number Test Date Failure Code Device Includes Error Message
0LU468-0008G1-XD7W3G-60SK03OK00000000001/1/17303StorageFloppy Drive, Hard Drive, Memory Drive, Optical Drive, SCSI, Tape DriveHard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure

Here is the report generated by the second code you posted, minus your notebook's serial number.

Failure Information
Failure ID Tag Checksum HP Serial Number Test Date Failure Code Device Includes Error Message
0LU468-0008G1-XD7W3G-61AB03OK00000000001/1/17305StorageFloppy Drive, Hard Drive, Memory Drive, Optical Drive, SCSI, Tape DriveHard Disk 1 Full Test Failure

Unfortunately, I have no idea what you need to do to fix the problem.

Did you try installing W10 on either drive?

The boot device not found usually means the notebook can't boot from the drive because of either no OS, or a corrupt OS that it cannot boot from (usually due to much different hardware the drive was removed from).

If the cable/connector board was no good, I would imagine you would not get any failure codes at all or a different one that may have indicated something other than quick or full test failure.

HP Recommended

many thanks for the reply!  

the hard drive that came with the laptop has Win10academic installed, and was working fine with that.

the hard drive from my other laptop has Win10pro installed.  

both of these harddrives are 5400 rpm, what is suggested to go with this laptop.

when i put these harddrives into my regular laptop; both harddrives boot up and the OSs works fine.  

i have acquired a used replacement HD board and ribbon i will try replacing, but after that, i'm out of ideas.  

i am puzzled that the only change i made was a hard drive caddy, and the laptop can't find the bios.  

it's just weird.  looks like i may have a parts computer... lol

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

Hopefully, you will be able to get it working again. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.