Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp stream notebook

how to download bios to usb ?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@nicholasb 

If you're asking about making a bootable USB stick to flash your BIOS, then read on ...

This is an indirect method for creating a BIOS update boot USB stick -- which comes in useful if you can not boot your PC into Windows and you need to do a BIOS update.

Macrium Reflect (MR) is a free tool that can be used to image and restore PCs, but it also has an option to create Rescue Media (is disk or USB form) that can then be used to Repair your PC.

It is available from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Use the option to create a boot USB stick
3) Open File Explorer to point to the USB stick
4) Create a folder on the USB stick named Apps
5) Download the HP BIOS Update file (this is a self-extracting archive file)
6) Copy the HP BIOS Update file to the Apps folder on the USB stick

NOW, you have a bootable USB stick that also contains the HP BIOS update file

Boot your original PC from the USB stick. It will take a few minutes, so you have to be patient. Could be 3 MINUTES or longer -- it's slow.

The USB stick is designed to repair Windows problems, but you don't want to do that. So, when you get to the app, down at the bottom-left of the screen are three icons. The right-most is a file manager -- click that to open it. Then, find the HP BIOS Update file and double-click that. That will start the BIOS update process.

When it is done, remove the USB stick and reboot your original PC.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Have external drive or usb installed. Go to your settings type storage in search bar. Select change where new content is saved. And also before you download go to browser settings look for same type of setting. You can also choose ask me where to download. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.