Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
I've had this problem.. open task manager (Ctrl/alt/delete) and see what is using the most CPU percentage. The problem with my spectre was that 'hp support assistant' and 'hp solutions framework' were using 60% of CPU power all the time to do basically nothing. I stopped this process in task manager and my laptop cooled down very quickly.. so I then uninstalled both these programs. Now my fan is barely ever on... it would be on full power and laptop hot to touch very quickly with any video playing, or even just using my browser. I've just watched a full hour on Netflix with no overheat whatsoever. Hope this helps. Very dissapointed that I pay £600 for a laptop that has been basically on fire for the first month.. hope it hasn't caused internal damage
HP Recommended

Hello--

I love my 2017 HP Spectre x360 13-ac0XX except extreme overheating and fan noise, which is related to overheating. This is how I solved the problem. I decided to limit the CPU and fan work:

1. Download and install this .reg file to enable "Processor performance boost mode" power option in Windows 10.
  2. Navigate to advanced power settings - Control Panel->Power Options->(Balanced) Change Plan Settings->Change advanced power settings
  3. Under advanced power settings this new option is now exposed. Processor power management->Processor performance boost mode.
  4. Change the setting from Aggressive to Disable for both battery & ac.
  5. Go to Processor power management->System cooling and change it from Active to Passive on ac (it is Passive on battery).
  6. Reduce CPU maximum from 100% to 80% of CPU usage

Now, I enjoy very quiet and cool laptop (it is getting warm but never heating)! For my use of the laptop, I don't see much difference in its performance. I'm sure that the battery works longer. Enjoy!

HP Recommended

I also recently purchased an HP Spectre x360 13-ac0XX and was concerned about the unit running in the 81-88C range even when supposedly at idle. However, on closer inspection via Task Manager I found that CPU Usage was averaging 59% usage at supposed idle. Turns out that the HP Support Solutions Framework Service "Startup Type = Automatic (Delayed Start)" and it is an absolute CPU resource hog from the moment it launches. Don't know what the heck the app is actually doing with all that CPU time in the background but... if you simply "STOP" this service, then set the "Startup Type = Manual" and reboot the unit you will find that since their app does not automatically start and run in the background that the CPU load drops back to basically 1% and CPU temp of course drops back into the normal 42-50 degree C range for an idling, normally functioning i7 7500 (Kaby Lake)  processor. Problem solved! You might want to download a copy of the Core Temp app. Run that simple little app before you make the changes above and of course after you reboot. You will find the 40+C degree temp drop very pleasing indeed.

Just remember that the above solution means that said HP Support Solutions Framework app will not automatically launch and/or be running in the background any longer. Hence it will not be automatically checking for updates etc. You will need to manually launch the app (accessible of course from the Start menu) on a regular basis (say once a week) inorder to stay current with all the updates and messages.

Though now retired I was once in the software development biz and I have to tell you... In my experience the resource demands of their Support Solutions Framework app definitely qualify this app as bloatware. Time to go back to this app's development team and do some serious work under the hood.

Hope you find this helpful!

PS... Just took a little basic troubleshooting... Your welcome HP...

HP Recommended

Thansk.  But didnt really change the temperature problem.  Don't hold your breath for any thank you from HP.  frankly, even if it di cool things down a bit it is hardly a proper fix.  Come on HP get your head out of your posterior orifice and give us all a proper answer.

HP Recommended

My Convertible HP Specter also heats up near the top right hand of the keyboard near the hinge.  This has been some problem for a time apparently. I love my Spector 360 when it works. It is frustrating when it does not work. A reinstall of windows 10; won't that mean I would lose the HP specific software?

David S Bush
HP Recommended

Try changing system cooling policy to passive - this solved overheating and stopped BSOD on my specterx360 - kernel security check failure BSOD that was happening every 15 mintues with previous overheating.  

HP Recommended

I have the newest hp spectre x360 and I also found it was overheating. It suffered massive thermal throttling within up to 5 minutes! I found no solution online but eventually fixed it myself!

First I purchased a laptop cooling pad, it worked to an extent, however it only delayed the time of overheating. 

Then today I made this change and it worked. Try it if it works for you. I found it lowered the clock speed of the processor by 1Ghz, stopping it turboing all the time and only when it needs to.Screenshot (2).png 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.