Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 6550b : WD704EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows XP

Hi all,

I have a probook that worked normally until the weekend. It now powers up and loads Windows XP (I can hear the XP startup chime), but at no point is there any display on the internal screen.

When attaching an external monitor and try to access the BIOS, I see vertical lines of tiny blocks of multiple colours, along with random characters in what looks like a DOS graphics mode. It's reminiscent of the old days (Win 95!) when a graphics card had the wrong drivers.

Also when it loads into Windows, I can SEE the Windows XP logo behind all the vertical line weirdness described, indicating to me that the graphics are not completely shot.

Its an i5 with integrated graphics.

I've tried hard reset, removing and reseating the RAM and BIOS reset (Windows + B key) - no change (incidentally after BIOS reset the caps lock light blinks nine times and machine switches off. Then it powers up again!).

WinloadSml.png

Any assistance from the group would be much appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Its a motherboard issue. The video chip is corrupted. The only way to fix is to replace the motherboard. Nice job of diagnostics though. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Its a motherboard issue. The video chip is corrupted. The only way to fix is to replace the motherboard. Nice job of diagnostics though. 

HP Recommended

Hi Provost,

many thanks for your swift & concise reply.

I shall not waste any more time on it 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.