Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (178 Views)

laptop does not power up with battery or adapter

Product Name: Envy 17t-j100
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

no power to laptop...either with battery or dc adapter......when you plug in the adapter, there is no indicator light ....have tried removing all power sources and holding down the power button ...for in excess of 2 minutes ...reconnect adapter only ...still nothing.....removed all hard drives and all but 1 stick of memory and tried again...nothing....could power cable be bad?....this happened suddenly....worked one minute...then nothing.....any thoughts and if power cable is the culprit ...how do i tell if it has dicrete or uma memory?......Help!!! please

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 4 (150 Views)

Re: laptop does not power up with battery or adapter

Hey @KaiserI

First and foremost, I want to welcome you to the HP Support Forums! Here at the forums, you have many community members that will help you toward a solution for your Notebook not booting properly.

Have you connected the Notebook to an external monitor or TV? Please try this step first to see if the display on the external Monitor or TV is black also. 

Please make sure that the AC adapter cable is not plugged into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source. It should be directly into a wall outlet. Please also remove any and all external devices connected to the Notebook. This would include USB devices. 

Are you using the AC power adapter that came with the computer?

Did you receive any error messages?

Do you have any beep codes or blinking LED lights

Have you done a BIOS reset?

I would like to provide you with a document called Computer Does Not Start. In this document, you will find the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the questions above. Please perform each troubleshooting step to answer the questions above. 

When you press the power button and the power LED glows, do you hear the fan spinning? If yes, but the display remains blank still, please see Computer Starts but Screen Remains Blank

Please let me know the detailed answers/results of the troubleshooting provided above. If this reply resolves your issue, please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button at the bottom of this post. 

To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! Smiley Happy

Thanks for joining the HP Support Community!

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (145 Views)

no lights, leds , fans no indicator led by the power connector......I'm wondering if the power connector /cable has gone bad

have tried original adapter ( checked w/ multimeter ...have 18vdc ) and a replacement adapter...both have the same results ...absolutely NOTHING........have removed battery and adapter and held power button for over a minute ...removed all hard drives  and all but on stick of memory..tried same proceedure ...again nothing.....again i go back to the power connector .....was going to unplug it from the board and try to check for voltage across the pins of the connector....if it is the power connector/cable ......how do i identify wich cable # it is i have seen( 3 ) different cable numbers ....discrete or umv ....and a third # in yet another HP service publication....this is a Envy 17t-j100.....i greatly appreciate any and all help

Thanks...Ivan 

Retired
Message 4 of 4 (133 Views)

Hey, 

Thanks for getting back to me!

I read your recent post, and given the information that you had provided and are requesting, I believe that the best course of action at this point would be for you to use the following link to create yourself a case number and contact us:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

They may have some better tips or tricks that will help you diagnose the root cause and hopefully come to a resolution! 

The last thing that you can try with me would be to clean out all the vents and open areas on the Notebook. Sometimes dust can cause things to stop working. 

I hope that this helps! Please don't forget to let others know if a reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button at the bottom of the post. 

Take care! :)

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation