Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have a HP Envy 17t-cg100 CTO that is about a month old. It came with a 1TB SS disk (M.2 I think - basically the chips, not a traditional laptop disk). It has space for a traditional disk, so when I got it, I opened it up to see if I could add one. Found the empty space, but there was no cable. Researched on these forums what part number was needed for a cable. Ordered it on ebay. (Haven't ordered the disk yet. Just going one step at a time.) Got the cable. Opened the computer again to see where the cable plugs in. The only difference this time in what I did inside the computer was that I removed the battery. Which is what all the youtube videos tell you to do as the first step in any service inside: take out the battery. Well, all I did was remove the battery, put it back, close it up. But now the computer doesn't turn on! The LED on the switch lights up, but that's all. I've tried a "hard reset" as per instructions on the HP website, to no avail.

Any idea what could have gone wrong? Yes, it is possible that something got damaged, but it seems highly unlikely. I didn't touch anything, just looked. Other than the battery. Seems unlikely that removing and then replacing the battery could cause a problem.

Also, I still can't tell if I can add a disk or not. The only connector on the mobo I could find that looked like the disk cable could reach and had the right shape already had a cable in it. Perhaps the computer has space for both M.2 and a disk, but only one port? E.g. is the M.2 already plugged in to the only connector available?

Thanks for any help.

DaveT

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Dave7T 

We can't help you with the laptop no longer turning on as we have no way to access your laptop or to diagnose it.

As to the cables, the m.2 SSD plugs into a socket on the motherboard and does not use any cables.  With SATA, you need two cables -- a data cable and a power cable.  The data cable is wide with 15 pins; the data cable is narrow with 7 pins. The data cable would plug into the motherboard,  I don't know where the power cable would connect because I don't know what power connections are available in that laptop.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info on the M.2. Makes sense.

For the record, the laptop needed a hard reset. HP Tech support chat led me through it. I had tried a hard reset as per instructions I found several places on the web: Hold down the power key for 8 or 15 seconds. Didn't work. HP Tech had me hold down both the power and the mute key for 30 seconds. Which worked!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.