Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
blacksmith1987 Top Student
Top Student
3 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

missing operating system error when using port replicator

HP Elitebook Folio 1040 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

When using the HP 3005PR Port Repliator I'm getting a black screen on boot-up with a 'Missing Operating System' error in the upper right corner and won't go any further. When I take away the port replicator it boots up just fine into the OS.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,

3 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
14028 1325 3145
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

blacksmith1987

I have a similar problem with an HP laptop -- if anything is connected to the USB ports (other than mouse/keyboard) when the machine starts, it will attempt to boot from that, and most likely, fail.

The simple solution is to wait until the laptop boots, and THEN, connect the docking station.

Did you install the drivers for the replicator? That might make a difference.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
blacksmith1987 Top Student
Top Student
3 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think we figured it out. Updated drivers didn't fix the issue. The laptop sees the Port Replicator as a storage/boot device since it's hooked up by USB and has about 120 MB of storage, just enough for the drivers. We had to change the boot order so it will boot to HDD first and not get the 'Missing Operating System' error.

Thanks

pccathy Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks! My heart stopped when I got that message but all is good now!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation