apragacz Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

my laptop shuts down every time I close the lid...etc

I have an hp spectre.  everytime i close the lid, the thing shuts off.  Also everytime it sits for more than 5 miutes it shuts off.  Before it strated doing this, it would "sleep" rather than turn off.  it is already set to "sleep" during this period.  

7 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
5085 326 1045
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post

Hello apragacz,

Welcome to the HP Forums! I hope you enjoy your stay!

I understand the computer will shut off when it is not supposed to. I will do my best to assist you! First, I require the following information:

1. The computer's model number. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website: Guide to finding your product number

2. The computer's operating system. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website to determine your Windows operating system.

3. Have you installed any new hardware on this computer, before the issue appeared?

4. Have you installed any new software or drivers on this computer, before the issue appeared?

Thanks for choosing the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
apragacz Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post

Thanks for helping me. 

model # HP Slipt 13-m110dx x2 PC

Windows 8.1

No, I have not installed anything new, hardware or software, on this computer recently.

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
5085 326 1045
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post

Thank you for the response! Since the computer shuts down randomly, I would like you to apply all of the troubleshooting steps in this HP document: The Computer Restarts Unexpectedly (Windows 8)

*Please note: This document applies to Windows 8 and 8.1. Also, the troubleshooting does not differ based on whether or not it restarts or shuts down completely.

These troubleshooting steps are designed to resolve the issue. Please do try all the steps, since they could resolve the issue, and let me know the results. Thanks!

Mario

0 Kudos
apragacz Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post

That is not my problem.

Windows does not restart unexpectedly, the computer turns off NOT restart
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
5085 326 1045
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post

Thank you for the response! As I stated in my previous post, "the troubleshooting does not differ based on whether or not it restarts or shuts down completely".

The troubleshooting steps in the document have resolved auto-shut down issues in the past. I've done these steps numerous times over the years and they are effective.

On a slightly different tangent, there is another document that suggests somewhat different steps. However, I would only try these steps if you notice overheating or abnormal fan behaviour: Troubleshooting an Overheating or Auto Shutdown Issue

Please try all of the these steps and let me know what happens. Thanks, and have a great day!

Mario

0 Kudos
ebraga80 Tutor
Tutor
19 0 1
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post

Hi there,

Can you review the settings, following the following instructions?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/change-what-happens-when-you-close-your-laptop

Thanks

Erik

0 Kudos
girlsrule6565 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post

Every time I close my computer it sleeps.  I have an hp probook 11 g1.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation