Did you mean: 
Bigmeanie
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

need a windows 8.1 key number

HP 15

my old hp 15 is not booting up.... asking for boot disks but I don't have them.... no windows 8.1 key sticker on the LT   HP sends me to Microsoft... Microsoft sends me to HP...  how can I get the windows key so I can try to reboot with a recovery disk (amazon)

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Level 20
Level 20
111,823 102,000 15,998 24,575
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

need a windows 8.1 key number

Hi:

The product key is in the BIOS.  Microsoft quit using product key stickers after W7.

If your notebook came with W8.1 from HP, and not W8.1 with Bing, you can reinstall W8.1 by downloading the ISO file from the link below.  Choose the applicable file download for the version of W8.1 your notebook came with.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

If you downloaded the correct version of W8.1, it won't ask for a product key, and it will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Use the Microsoft utility that I zipped up and attached below to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation