Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15

my old hp 15 is not booting up.... asking for boot disks but I don't have them.... no windows 8.1 key sticker on the LT   HP sends me to Microsoft... Microsoft sends me to HP...  how can I get the windows key so I can try to reboot with a recovery disk (amazon)

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

The product key is in the BIOS.  Microsoft quit using product key stickers after W7.

If your notebook came with W8.1 from HP, and not W8.1 with Bing, you can reinstall W8.1 by downloading the ISO file from the link below.  Choose the applicable file download for the version of W8.1 your notebook came with.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

If you downloaded the correct version of W8.1, it won't ask for a product key, and it will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Use the Microsoft utility that I zipped up and attached below to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.