Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
hp 255 g4 notebook
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I switth on the laptop and it goes to boot menu with options free DOS AND hp files.  The next step gives 2 options

1. Load FreeDOS including HIMEM XMS-memory driver

2. Load FreeDOS without drivers

if I select either it goes to C:\>

Please help

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Does it look like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeDOS#/media/File:FreeDOS_1.1_screenshot.png

Or just jump to the C:\  prompt? 

With DOS I think you have to type a command to make something happen. In the picture the user typed dir after C:\ to get a list of the directories on the hard drive. 

HP Recommended
Hi, I have the same problem as OP, but I don't know what command to use to force the computer to start up or get off the boot menu. Please help!
HP Recommended

So what are you seeing when you power up the computer? Does it get to a C:\> prompt? 

HP Recommended
Yeah, after the stuff OP mentioned
HP Recommended

That's the operating system. Your laptop does not have Windows or any other graphical operating system. 

Just type dir after the C:\> prompt, hit enter and it will give you a list of the directories some of which may be programs (executables). I am not sure what is loaded with FreeDOS but I know there is no web browser or any other way to get on the internet. Pretty bare bones. 

In order to use the laptop in any way that most of us are failiar with you have to install an operating system with a graphical interface. For most people that is Windows but it costs money. For the brave and/or tech savvy there is Linux which is free. 

HP Recommended

after clicking the power button  , I always have a lot of messages on the screen and it end up this way C:\>

Hp laptop

SN# [edit]

ProdID 1WY12EA#BHS

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.