Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I recently bought a new Wester Digital hard drive because the one that my HP notebook came with died/failed, but now I get the no bootable device found message/error even after the installation disks finish and disk 4 is ejected.  It did the whole insert disk 1, 2, 3 and 4, and it went to 100%, then said remove recovery media  and press continue, so that it could restart and finish the process, but it just restarts the computer, gets to the no bootable device found message and stays there.  Left it over night too and still the same message.  After disk 4 finished it also said not to touch anything or do anything, so I did everything it said to do.  The hard drive is new as I stated and is the same 500gb that the one I replaced was.  The recovery disk were not created by me, they came with my notebook when I bought it from futureshop in late October 2010.  It is out of warranty too, so that is why I am looking elsewhere for a solution...

Any help would be welcomed..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I did something else that I looked up and got everything up and running, so it's all good now. 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hello GoodTimes81,

Do a hard reset.
Power off the computer.
Remove the power cable and the battery.
Hold down the power button for 15 sec while booth power sources are removed.

This should reset the hardware in the computer.

Run diagnostics and see if a hdd test passes.

Turn off the computer.
As you power it back on tap the F2 key. This will load hardware diagnostics.

Run hard disk test.

If it passes;

Turn off the computer.
As you turn it back on tap the F10 key. This will load BIOS setup utility.
Press F9 to load defaults
Press F10 to save and exit

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

Actually I've already replaced my hard drive.  I found out it was my other hard drive that failed.  I've done all the tests and everyone passed except for the hard disk/hard drive test.  I replaced it with a western digital 500gb hard drive, which is the same 500gb that the previous one had.  I'm basically at the recovery phase trying to get my operating system and computer up and running, but I get that no bootable device found message even after all the recovery disks successfully finish.  The disks were the same ones given to me when I first piurchased my notebook/laptop.  When I first bought it I paid to get the software and everything installed and setup, so I could just use the computer as soon as I brought it home, and the recovery disks were created for me during the process.

HP Recommended

I did something else that I looked up and got everything up and running, so it's all good now. 

HP Recommended

Can you please post the solution that you found?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Keep in mind I bought a new hard drive that is the same 500gb as the other one that failed, so this was done on a brand new hard drive with the same amount of gb.

Anyway, after trying way too many things to fix the pc I put recovery disk #1 in and when the Recovery Manager screen loads you will get a few options, but the one you want is the command prompt.  In the command prompt I typed bootrec.exe/fixmbr, pressed enter and waited until it said the operation completed successfully, then I typed bootrec/fixboot, pressed enter and again waited until it said the operation completed successfully.  After doing this I exited the command prompt, restarted my computer and waited until my recovery disk #1 loaded up again, then I chose system recovery at the recovery manager screen and went through the whole process of inserting disks 1 to 4.  When the 4th disk is finished it says remove the recovery disk and press continue, which I did and then it restarts, except this time it restarted and actually started all the setup and installations that it is supposed to do and finished the recovery process.

This is what worked for me, and there is no guarantee it will work for everyone, since it might not be the only issue your computer has, but I figure why not try it if you have tried so many thing like I did.  Hopefully it works for you too.

Let me know what happens regardless..

GoodTimes

HP Recommended

Hi 

To speed your life up a little bit the method works fine

put recovery disk #1 in and when the Recovery Manager screen loads you will get a few options, but the one you want is the command prompt.  In the command prompt I typed bootrec.exe/fixmbr, pressed enter and waited until it said the operation completed successfully, then I typed bootrec/fixboot, pressed enter and again waited until it said the operation completed successfully.  After doing this I exited the command prompt, restarted my computer and waited until my recovery disk #1 loaded up again,  

All you need to do is eject the recovery disk and restart the system,  the restore will continue and the rebuild will carry on.

I have a system currently doing exactly that. Thank you for posting the solution!

HP Recommended

Oh BTW  you need to slect the Run a computer check the command prompt is below that option

HP Recommended
I registered just to let you know this worked for me on my HP DV7. I was stuck. Thanks so much.
HP Recommended

I tried what you said to type at the command prompt and I got an error message saying cant find specified path. My dos screen shows           X:\Sources>                  When I type your solution,  I get cant find specified path. or cant find drives

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.