Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
probook 4540s laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I upgraded to Win 10 Pro from Win 7 Pro during the free upgrade period, at the time I had a 500 gig 5400 rpm hard disc, later I replaced the HD with an OCZ Vector 180 ssd, used the included copy of Acronis disc cloning software (i updated the Bios to the newest Version HP offfered prior to installing the ssd), now when I do a cold boot it gives me an error message saying no operating system found, if I go into the BIOS Setup menu then exit out of it without making any changes it goes ahead and boots normally. I can also do a warm boot (restart)it also reboots normally. I tried contacting OCZ support, they had several suggestions such as delaying the startup time 5 secnds, didn't do anything, increased it to 10 seconds with thes  same results (OCZ said the ssd needed more time to initialize itself). After trying 6 or 7 of their suggestions they sent me a new drive, I had saved the original HD so I cloned it to the new ssd, got the same results, no cold boot. 

I've tried evey setting I can find in the BIOS, changed it from UEFI to Legacy boot with no results, disabled network booting, everything but Optical Disc, disabled Quick Boot, but nothing has changed. In Legacy mode it shows the internal hard drive to be the first thing to boot from, but that does nothing but say it can't find a bootable drive and then the option left is shut down the computer. Looking in the BIOS under Devices it doesn't show the ssd at all. There's no firmware update available for the ssd, it's listed under Legacy products so can't see them offering any firmware updates. The ssd came with a 5 year free replacement warranty, it's only been in service for1 year so I hate to just throw it away with 4 years remaining on the warranty.

If I put the original hard drive back in it it boots perfectly, but I hate to go back to a slow 5400 RPM HD, thats what I was trying to get away from by buying the ssd in te first place. Any idea's would be appreciated since OCZ seems to be out of ideas.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.