Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP LAPTOP
Hi, upon turning on the laptop I am left with a black background with the words

HP PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTICS UEFI

Version 1.6.0.0 - BIOS

For more information, please visit: www.HP.com/go/techcenter/PCDiags

Memory Test
Hard Drive Check
Language
Exit.

I visited the website and have tried to click exit but the problem is that the screen is frozen and I am unable to use the arrows to go up or down, nor press enter.

Please help.
11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Ash28, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand when you power on your PC you are getting a black screen with error HP PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTICS UEFI. 

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any hardware or software changes on your PC?

Are you able to boot into BIOS?

As you mentioned when you power on your PC you are getting a black screen with error HP PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTICS UEFI. 

If you are able to boot into BIOS try restoring the BIOS to default and check if it helps.

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Try the steps recommended below.

Press CTRL + Alt + Del on the blank screen.
Click on Task Manager
Click "File" - "Run a new task" If there is no "file" option, please click on the task manager under the "details"
In the pop-up window, enter "msconfig" click "OK"
In the system configuration window that appears, click "Service" and uncheck "App Readiness".
Click "Apply" --- "OK"
In the following window appears to click on the "restart"

Also, try the steps recommended below.

If you have previously disabled App Readiness
Boot the PC
Click Start and type Services
Open desktop app Services and find App Readiness
Open the service and set Startup type to Manual
Click Apply and close the window
Download and install HP Image Enhancement for System Login using this link.
Reboot PC

If you have not disabled App Readiness
Boot the PC
Wait 15-20 minutes for the boot process to complete and desktop to load
Once on desktop, Download and install HP Image Enhancement for System Login.
Reboot your computer and let me know if this helps you fix the issue.

Also, try updating the BIOS and other drivers on your PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

If the issue still persists try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

this was not at all helpful. I selected the Bios option then f10 or whatever to move on and was taken back to the black screen that says boot device not found,  Please install and operating system.  

I won't be doing that.  I wil lbe boxing this POS up tomorrow and returning it.  I'll stick with my old DELL.

HP Recommended

@lezagan

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

That is the same issue I am having now... 

HP Recommended

Hello,
Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately, based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. I recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/postpage

To be more helpful with your post, you may add key information if you wish:
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A

2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit

3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows

4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.

If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message.

Thank you.

I work on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

i have already dis what you said but there is no response from Hp Support! what a disappointment!! i badly need my laptop and your support system is very poor. 

@rick-s wrote:

Hello,
Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately, based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. I recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/postpage

To be more helpful with your post, you may add key information if you wish:
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A

2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit

3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows

4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.

If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hey MariaAngelika,

I experienced the same problem and I got it solved. Indeed you must have had a hardware change, just like me. 

If you have not yet gotten a solution, you can email me at [edit]and I will help you out or you can Skype me also at "[edit]".  since I don't spend much time in this forum.

On Skype, I am available from 09:00 hrs to 16:00 hrs East African Time. 

HP Recommended

Greetings, I have the same problem, i am stuck in this screen but the difference is that I can't access the bios.
Before I get to this screen, I have a message that resembles media can't be reached, press f2 to enter bios.
I can run a hard drive check that is successful.
But the bios doesn't start.
I suspect the problem comes from the fact that I changed the boot order options in an effort to boot from my USB stick.
It worked once but now that I removed it I cannot access windows or the stick OS.
I think restoring the bios options would fix it.
I am using an hp elitebook g4 and this is my work computer, so it's kind of urgent.
Thanks in advance,
Salad

HP Recommended

CAn you please help me, I am being faced with the same problems!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.