Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp envy14 beats edition notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Does anyone know how to re image a computer using command prompts..besides using a usb or disc?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Looks like it is OK.

If the restoring using F11 does not work, that implies the recovery information has been corrupted and at this point, you would need to use external media to do the restore.

If your PC is a 2016 model or newer, you should see if you can make a bootable USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool on a working PC.

The recovery drive can then be used to install Win10 and the HP drivers and utilities that originally came with your PC.

Here is the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Sola6js 

Sorry, but your terminology is confusing.  To "image" a computer is to make a backup of the entire set of partitions on the drive, to an external drive, and you use special software to do that.  Thus to re-image, you restore the entire set of partitions on the drive from an image backup.

The Windows apps that do this require being booted into Windows or, using their custom-made USB sticks, booted into WinRE.  These are both Windows versions; neither can be run from the command line.

There is also CloneZilla which can make images, but it has to be booted from its own custom-built USB stick.

HP Recommended

My apologies I just realized it didn't make sense ... The problem I have is when I turn on the computer I only get a black screen containing a message and it sends me to turn off the computer I do and then again the message comes out. I already try restoring it but it just gives me a message to turn of of

HP Recommended

OK, understand -- but it sounds like your drive has died.  So, what is the message that is being displayed?

HP Recommended

An operating system wasnt found . Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system.

Press ctrl+apt+del to restart

HP Recommended

OK, thanks for the info.

This issue is often due to a failing drive. So, let's check that first, because if it is failing, it would need to be replaced and there is no point then in doing anything else until we confirm that.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu
3) Press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

HP Recommended
  •  
HP Recommended

Ok that's the startup test correct

HP Recommended

Memory test pass

Primary hard disk pass

Hard disk pass

Smart check-hard disksmart pass

So the drive is good?

HP Recommended

Looks like it is OK.

If the restoring using F11 does not work, that implies the recovery information has been corrupted and at this point, you would need to use external media to do the restore.

If your PC is a 2016 model or newer, you should see if you can make a bootable USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool on a working PC.

The recovery drive can then be used to install Win10 and the HP drivers and utilities that originally came with your PC.

Here is the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.