Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
pavilion
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Laptop screen won't come on and caps lock is blinking. When starting pc the exhaust fan start then stops when caps lick start blinking what do I do?
9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Yami252, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand your PC boots into a black screen and light on caps lock is blinking.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

How many times does the light on the caps lock is blinking?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned your PC boots into a black screen and light on caps lock is blinking.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Turn off the notebook.
Plug the notebook into a power source using the power adapter.
With the notebook off, press and hold the Windows logo key and the B key at the same time.
   NOTE:
On some notebook models, it might be necessary to press and hold the Windows logo key and the V key.
While pressing those keys, press and hold the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows logo key and the B or V key until the HP BIOS update screen displays or you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).
The HP BIOS Update screen displays and the BIOS update begins automatically. This might take several minutes, and you might hear additional beeping sounds.
If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, repeat the previous steps. If the issue persists after repeating the steps, skip to the next step to Download a replacement BIOS file.
If the Power light turns off, the notebook has turned off because the Power button was held too long. Repeat the previous steps, making sure to hold the Power button for 2 to 3 seconds only.
If your notebook starts Windows, update the BIOS to the latest version using the standard BIOS update procedure. For more information about updating your notebook BIOS, go to Updating the BIOS (Notebooks).
Click Continue Startup to prompt the notebook to restart immediately, or allow the notebook to restart automatically when the timer reaches zero.
After the notebook restarts, press Enter to continue.
   NOTE:
If the notebook repeatedly displays a message that the BIOS has been recovered, go to HP BIOS Application Selected is Corrupt or Missing for troubleshooting steps.
After Windows starts, if a message displays stating that the notebook was improperly shut down or that a boot problem was detected, follow the on-screen instructions.
You can now to enter the BIOS menu or start the Windows operating system.

Refer this article to know more information about recovering BIOS.

Also, refer this article to know more about blink codes on your PC.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

It is a hardware issue with your PC. 

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
it just goes on blinking every 5 sec
HP Recommended
my lap is model pavilion 15-r006tx
HP Recommended
how do I knw power is coming to screen
HP Recommended
I was watching a movie when it happened for a moment sound was still playing and screen waS blank now it is like there is no power coming to screen @MrRobot help
HP Recommended
product g8d30pa#ajc
HP Recommended

@Yami252, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the light on the caps lock is blinking once after every 5 seconds.

One blink indicates the CPU (processor) on your laptop has failed.

Since it is a hardware failure, there is nothing much we can do in this situation.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The suggested fixes didn't work for me. 

This usually indicates that there is a damaged ram stick. 

Take out each memory stick individually and try to power on the pc. 

Once the pc powers on you'll know which stick is broken and can replace it. 

HP Recommended

cap blinking screen black

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.