Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
x360 Spectre 13-ap0010na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
The laptop was working fine until mid-December.  On booting up after a few weeks of non-use, a BIOS update was offered and I accepted.  Several other driver and Windows updates were installed around the same time. 

Within a couple of minutes of the BIOS update, the laptop froze, and the only way out of it was to shut down with a long press on the power button.  The freezing happened again after reboot, with it freezing after a couple of minutes, or sometimes it can go 20 minutes or so until locking up.  Each time it needs a long press on the power button to shut down.  I haven't installed anything else around that time that could be causing the issue, and I'm pretty sure it was the BIOS update.

Apart from the freezing, I have had 3 or 4 blue screens where Windows has encountered an error and has to shut itself down.  These have been completely random, but it didn't happen prior to December.

After the BIOS update, it was at version F.34.  I don't know what version it was on previously; the laptop was brand new in March 2019.

I have investigated a number of things:
- uninstalling some programs: Chrome, HP Support assistant (uninstalling this one seems to make a small difference, locking up after ~20 minutes rather than ~2 minutes when HP Support assistant is running)
- updating all drivers via HP Support site; everything is up to date;
- updating the BIOS to the newest version, F.40;
- updating Windows to version 1909;
- fresh install of Windows (while keeping user data) - I haven't reinstalled any apps or programs yet.
None of these have made a difference.  I've checked the Windows error logs most times after freezing, and there isn't really anything there, only a Windows error saying that it was shut down unexpectedly; there's certainly no pattern to it.

I tried starting in Safe mode, and it didn't freeze after around an hour, so that is something positive..

I want to roll back to an earlier BIOS version to see if that fixes it, probably F.33 as it is an earlier version of F.34 and F.40.  However the HP BIOS update tool won't let me roll back to an older version.  Is a rollback possible?
Are there other suggestions for trying to fix this issue (I know a full factory reset (overwriting user data) is a possibility, but I'm not convinced that will work).
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Al_Vantage Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the specter x360 randomly freezing.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

First, let's start by performing a hard reset on the PC to release any excessive static/power that could have caused the issue. 

  

Turn off the computer. 

Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers. 

Unplug the AC adapter from the computer. 

Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory. 

Press the Power button to turn on the computer. 

If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key. 

  

Second, you can check if there is Bios update available for your PC, here is the link to download. 

  

Performing a test on the Hard drive as well as on the Memory from the Hardware diagnostics:  
1) Shutdown the computer.  
2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.  
3) Press F2 once for System Diagnostics.  
4) Go to the Component test.  
5) Run extensive Memory and Hard Drive test.   

Depending on the test results, If the test passes then I would suggest you perform a complete system recovery.  

Note: Recovery will wipe off everything from the computer. If you have anything important get in touch with some local stores to get your data backed up. 

  

Click here to know: How to perform each step. 

  

For more details, you can try these documents as well. 

  

Computer Is Slow (Windows 10) 

On the HP website their si BIOS version F.34.

I would suggest you update the BIOS F.27 Rev.A and check.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  I have done the hard reset and the extensive memory and hard drive tests.  Both tests passed.  The hard reset didn't help to prevent the freezing.  

You mentioned: "On the HP website their si BIOS version F.34.

I would suggest you update the BIOS F.27 Rev.A and check."

I am already at BIOS F.40, which is later than F.34, and the HP BIOS tool won't let me roll back (it says it is incompatible).  I also tried to go to F.27, but had the same problem.  Is it possible to roll back to an earlier BIOS version?

HP Recommended

@Al_Vantage You should be able to recover the BIOS using the below steps:

1. Turn off the notebook.

2. Plug the notebook into a power source using the power adapter.

3. With the notebook off, press and hold the Windows logo key  and the B key at the same time.

NOTE:

On some notebook models, it might be necessary to press and hold the Windows logo key  and the V key.

4. While pressing those keys, press and hold the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows logo key  and the B or V key until the HP BIOS update screen displays or you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).

The HP BIOS Update screen displays, and the BIOS update begins automatically. This might take several minutes, and you might hear additional beeping sounds.

• If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, repeat the previous steps. If the issue persists after repeating the steps, skip to the next step to Download a replacement BIOS file.

• If the Power light turns off, the notebook has turned off because the Power button was held too long. Repeat the previous steps, making sure to hold the Power button for 2 to 3 seconds only.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher: Thanks for the reply.  It wasn't quite what I was asking for (I wanted to roll back to an earlier BIOS version from before the problem started), but I tried the BIOS recovery you suggested anyway, and...  so far, so good.  No freezes since I recovered the BIOS, so hopefully the problem has been fixed.

I'll wait a few days to make sure the problem is fixed before accepting your reply as the solution.

HP Recommended

@Al_Vantage That's fair enough, please take your time, observe the device and get back to us when your sure its back up and running,

Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello

I had same problem with my laptop ( soectre df1033dx 2019 ) .... i try all all the things .... almost for 3 months i had this problem , from 25th Dec till now .... i bought it from dubai , hp does not have any store in Tehran so I should pay at least 300 dollars for transfering to  that store for warranty and changing it . With this coronavirus the situation is worse than any other time .

I say again I try all the things that i know and because of the pressure of the university's exams ....it makes me so much nervous .

It is 1500$ laptop and this is a expensive laptop for our country .... iran's currency is weak 

[edit]

This website's instructions solve my problem for 10 days but again ....... 

Solution is changing changing windows completely from current windows ( my windows was  10 home and i think home is a little bit weak ) to windows 10 pro with bootable usb ( rufus program ) it takes your time about 30 min , i install win 10 pro cracked edition ( because original is 100 $ or more ) but suddenly without any activator app it automaticly activated fortunately ....

Then touchpad and  sound and some other thing do not work even i could not connect to the internet via wifi ( i connect with usb ) 

With online driver pack solution install most of the drivers auto .... then from security and updates icon in setting I update my win 10 pro to the newest version .... it takes about 45-50 minutes and cpu works with 50 % of its capacity ..... ( for installing win 10 pro it takes maximum 15 min ) ..... i think updating repair all curroupted files and drives and fans works at high rpm and laptop was under more pressure in comparision with installing windows ...

After all this thing my spectre does not freez randomly and in idle .... fans do not work exceedingly and i am appreciate this laptop ...

I expect this solved my problem i did all this things 3 days ago now every thing is okay i think it is a final solution .... before that i experience 2-3 times freezing a day .... in that 3 months I did approximately more than 120 times force shutdown ...and i hope this does not cause any hardware problem . Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.