Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hp6735s running windows 7

it keeps freezing, with (whatever program) not responding, i can move the cursor around the screen but nothing works, this can last from a couple of minutes to an hour or more, occaisionally the laptop restarts itself and runs chkdsk, then it behaves for a bit.some days are worse than others, there is no pattern.

I tried running HP system diagnostics :

start up test failed

Failed memory address=0x00000000Pattern expected=0x00000000Pattern read=0x00000000

I'm currently running sfc/scannow in cmd

any ideas?

m-lp

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Remove one stick of memory and run the UEFI component test for memory. If it passes, then remove the one you just tested and put the other one in and test it.

If your notebook is still in warranty you can contact HP and arrange for a replacement memory module. You can run your notebook with a single memory module until you replace the bad module. 

If your notebook is not in warranty you can replace the module with a guaranteed compatible memory module from anonline vendor. Replace modules in pairs for best results.

Regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

thanks for the speedy response, have tried doing the tests with one memmory stick removed (done the test twice) and i get:

start up test failed

Test 1 (quick) ....Error:read failureError: Read failure

also get a similar response if i runn the hard disk test.

I had a replacement hard drive fitted when the unit was upgraded to windows 7

any further ideas?

regards

m-lp

HP Recommended

Are you running the  component specific tests?

UEFI 5.2.4.jpg

UEFI ver. 5.1.png

You don't need to use the System tests, since what you ned to know is which specific component has failed. 

If the hard disk tells you it has failed, then it must be replaced with a new one. Is that the long or short lest?

There should be a failure ID if you are running the hard disk test.

Do you still have the original hard disk? If it is OK, why not put it in and use it?

regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.