2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

starts up and turns off after 3 - 4 seconds

Pavilion G6 2238TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi,

I am having trouble starting up my notebook.

It does not turn on with the start button, instead it turn on when you open the lid but turns off again after about 4 seconds.

If I lift the lid & quickly put it down again it allows it to start up after repeating this process a few times, but once I'm at the login screen you can't lift the lid up long enough to sign in...it just shuts off...?

I have replaced the power button & no luck..not sure what to try next...?

Cheers Greg

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,390 2,242
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @snapper_1,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand the computer is powering on, however, doesn't boot into windows, And it turns off after a few seconds after it's turned on,

To provide an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Did you make any changes on the PC before the issue started?

Did this happen after an update/upgrade to Windows 10?

In the meantime, let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, the keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

If the computer still turns off every few seconds, try with an alternate adapter and/or remove the battery and try turning on the computer without the battery, only connect the adapter and start, let me know if that works.

For more steps, Click here

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Jeet_Singh,

I all started when I went to do my tax last year.

It wouldn't turn on with the power button, it would only start when you opend the lid but shut down after about 3 seconds.

So I took the battery out and let it sit for a coulpe of days & plaged it in with the screen open & the power button worked fine proving you left the screen up...?

I have had to do this everytime I have needed to use it sometimes this did not work when you wanted to use it...?

Then some of the joined keys stopped working, Iran as many system tests & every thing seemed fine.

Now I can only get it to start by lifting the screen but it goes off 3 seconds later.

If i open and shut the screen several times with a couple of minutes between each open/close the screen has displayed windows login screen for about 1 second making me think its booting up...just need it to stay on...?

Cheers Greg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,360 12,338 1,165 2,427
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @snapper_1,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. Excellent troubleshooting and great persistence have been displayed to try and get the issue resolved. As  @Jeet_singh is out of office for the day, I am responding on his behalf. This is a loose connection and the computer seems to be going on and off.

As the issue is hardware related, I request you to contact HP phone support to get the computer serviced.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this pans out. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.  🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation