Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ZBook Studio G5 Mobile Workstation
Linux

hello everyone

i recently bought this HP laptop and it is the first time i get my hands on an HP product.

I am mostly a linux user but i also use windows for specific tasks, so first thing i tried to do is install a linux distro. After seeing that i had problems with booting live some distributions and i had to tweak the settings everytime (acpi=off), i realized that it was impossible for me to install ubuntu,mint and manjaro since the grub never got installed no matter what.

i am using uefi with gpt. The only OS that installed properly is opensuse but upon booting things were not as expected, many things were missing which i suspect is a drivers thing.

so i searched more throughly around the forums and i saw many people having the same problem also with the HP omen series. Here is an example of someone who managed to figure out a "solution", although i dont see this as an option for my laptop.

If someone with more experience can provide some help as to if there is something else that can be done, or if i am just forced to wait for a firmware upgrade

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The thread you linked is irrelevant to your issue as it is about a problem with AMD processors. The ZBook Studio G5 is only available with Intel processors.

The computer you are using is still very new - perhaps too new for Linux drivers to have matured for all the hardware. Unfortunately, other than a blind alley about the wrong processor vendor, your post pretty much amounts to "it doesn't work", which is simply not enough information to offer any advice.

What happens with the distributions that fail to boot and install as UEFI? If you are attempting to wipe the supplied OS (presumably Windows 10), are you sure that you've setup an EFI System Partition correctly? Were you trying to install grub-efi? The root cause of your failures here might be that you are not UEFI booting the live media.

What hardware doesn't work or misbehaves in OpenSUSE?

Linux is not really my area of expertise (I'm a Windows and FreeBSD person), but I hope this moves you some way forwards.

HP Recommended

thank you very much for your reply,

the thread i linked states that it is unable to boot into linux as a black screen appears, and since i am having a similar error i thought it could be linked somehow, but you are completely right it is a different cpu vendor.

when i am trying to boot a live distribution (any of them) then acpi related errors come up and upon googling i found that adding the flag acpi=off to the grub worked and the live distro could continue into booting.

after attempting installing linux then grub2 always fails to install giving error grub-efi failed to install into /target/.

When attempted to install the grub manually after the insatllation was over still errors came up, here is the report from boot-repair in ubuntu = http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/snsKNVnCTq/

i am pretty certain that the system partitioning is proper, also the usb is booting in UEFI and gpt has been used.

During opensuse installation i still needed to use the acpi=off flag, but the grub2 got installed, after that while being in the OS you notice that the battery is not recognised and the wifi does not work properly.

if i can provide more infromation please let me know.

for now i am on windows and i am running vm, but that is not how i would like to continue

thank you for your help and time

HP Recommended

I've got the same laptop and the same problem, can't get Linux to run and don't want to be restricted to VM since they don't utilize discrete graphics well. 

Were you ever able to get it to work?

HP Recommended

i have not found a stable solution yet, I managed to make ubuntu start and run but it has problem with random freezing not being able to control luminocity properly and more

if you want to boot some linux distro use as a flag of grub "

nouveau.modeset=0

if anyone has found some solution please share 

HP Recommended

I have also problems with my studio g5, but ubuntu now offers a safe-grafics mode during install, you have to install the nvidia drivers right away during installation of ubuntu. then, at least, you can set the brightness. also, majaro is an option too. problems remain here with corrupted suspend-mode, brightness-keys and nvivida beeing unstable. But you can turn off the nvidia-card in the Bios, this makes the system more stable.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.