Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi I have a chrome book 14. it showed an major error message and shut down. It rebooted itself and supposedly repaired the damage. Now I am back to the set up page. Every time i try and get on wifi I move the little button to on and the chromebook slides it back to off. No wifi no chrome. I dont know what to do.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@kimp5

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand the wifi button on your Chromebook won't stay on,

No worries as I'd love to help, however, I need a few more details to provide an accurate solution:

Have you checked if an ethernet connection works on your PC?

Did you install all recent updates for your Chromebook?

While you respond to that, here's what you could try:

1. Restart your Chromebook
  2. Reset your Router 
  3. Make sure your Chromebook is fully updated
  4. Perform "Hard Reset" (Click here for instructions)
  5. Login to your Chromebook as Guest
  6. Perform a PowerWash (restores your Chromebook to Factory defaults)
  7. Try plugging in a USB-to-Ethernet adapter

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

None of it worked. Doing a reset didnt work as holding the button for 15 seconds just turns it off.

I cant get into settings because it does not come up on the computer, only accesability, keyboard, network and bluetooth. when I go to network and slide the button to on it turns itself off. Not sure if it is just toast. there is no battery to remove visable.

HP Recommended

it was working great before. The wifi iand router is fine with all other computers in the house.

I cant install anything.

HP Recommended

@kimp5

Thank you for the update, 
I appreciate your time and efforts, 

To clarify does the WiFi work fine regardless of the button?

If yes, I recommend you Contact HP and set up a repair service setup (Free if the PC is covered by the warranty),

If it doesn't connect to the WiFi anymore, please Contact the ISP to set up the internet.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,  
Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner, 
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day! 
Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
The button that slides to wifi on (it is not a button button it is a screen button) slides itself off. So I can't get the computer to do anything because it will not look for wifi because it says wifi is off. The button will not stay to the right
HP Recommended

@kimp5

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Reset things so you use Google DNS under chrome settings.  
Tap on your MiniMe icon, lower right; then tap on your network; tap it again.
In the Window that opens, select the Network tab.  
Then select "Use Google name servers..."

Cleanly shut down the Browser and restart the machine.
This should result in a steady and strong connection.

If it doesn't, I recommend you perform a factory reset using these steps: Click here for details.

And if the issue persists, after all of the above, I"m afraid this will be considered a hardware malfunction and it's best you Contact HP for further support:

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number to obtain a case along with the phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

After days of following online instructions, powerwashing, resetting, fussing with the settings, many tears, and threats to murder this machine, I simply logged in with a different gmail/google account and have had no problems since. I can't wait to get another Macbook. I HATE this thing but, am grateful to have something... 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.