Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Windows 8 was released just over a month ago and several users have had the urge to upgrade their notebook to Windows 8.  

However, the notebook does not have any Windows 8 software from HP as it is not approved for Windows 8 yet.

This usually results in both video cards being powered on and only the Intel graphics card being used.  Some symptoms of this is the notebook runs hotter than usual and battery life is substantially short due to both cards being powered simultaneously.

This is not an official solution to the above problem, but it has worked for myself and various others.

1.  Install the HP Software Framework as found here.

Credit for finding this link goes out to CherylG.

2.  Next, uninstall all ATI/AMD software through Programs and Features.

3.  Go to www.hp.com and select Support and Drivers at the top.  

4.  Select Software and Driver downloads and enter your product model or product number.

5.  Select the most recent operating system matching your installation of Windows 8's bit architecture.  For example, Windows 7 64bit for Windows 8 64bit.

6.  Download the ATI graphics card driver.

7.  Run the file once it is finished downloading.  

8.  Let the extraction process finish, but cancel the installation when prompted to continue it after the extraction.  Take note of where this is extracted to.  By default, this should be c:\swsetup\<file_name_of_download>.

9.  Here, there should be a setup.exe for installing the ATI driver.  Right-click this and select troubleshoot compatibility.  

10.  Follow the compatibility troulbeshooter and select the suggested fixes.  On one screen, there will be a test program button.  Click this to begin the installation.  

11.  Follow the installation and it should finish successfully.

12.  Once finished, right-click the desktop to verify the configure switchable graphics option is listed.

Once this is finished, switchable graphics should be working properly on most systems.  This results in reduced heat and the battery charge lasting longer.  

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

While this may not work for everyone, it has worked for a lot of users.

I hope this helps.  :generic:

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

While this may not work for everyone, it has worked for a lot of users.

I hope this helps.  :generic:

Signature
HP Recommended

UPDATE

If the above steps fail, then select the option that says No, these settings did not work.  When prompted, select the option that states it worked in a previous version of Windows and follow the prompts to select Windows 7 as the compatibility OS.

It is possible that it defaulted to XP SP3 instead of Windows 7. 

Signature
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.