Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP ProBook x360 11 G2 EE
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The topic isn't exactly fitting the issue, but I have a pretty dumb problem: I have ants in my computer. I have had ant problems in my house for years, and the ants this year are particularly stupid. they have an appetite for eating the circuits in my smoke alarm and destroying it, making it go off every 2 minutes, eating the circuits in my dishwasher, eating the circuits in my TV, Eating the Circuits in my surge protectors, and now my poor lappy toppy. I don't think that there is a colony in my computer, but there's at least a couple hundred of them. I see them coming in and out of my keyboard, and it's really annoying. Worse, I have Entomophobia, so I hate looking at a large amass of insects or large insects. 😞 This happened just this morning, and My computer has been recently doing weird stuff like deleting important hardware files and suddenly force-stopping apps that I love. It has already deleted Word, and it is constantly opening and closing edge so fast, it is like edge is opened and closed 10 times per second. I don't even like edge anyways! I would really like help soon before my computer goes into disrepair. I am not planning to open up my circuits because I always put them back together and they never work the same. I also am not going to make somebody else like a technician do it because of COVID-19, so please avoid solutions that involve opening up my computer. And no, I never eat nor drink around my laptop ever; and telling me not to isn't going to help fix the problem. Please help! 😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Wasabi101 

You are welcome.

We are here to help - icky ants are just as bad a problem as some other issues. 

You cannot use the computer when it is full of ants.  Wry smile here.

OK - no opening.  Best to open and clean, but yeah - ants.  Eww.

After the ants are dead, do try the compressed air (plain air, not chemicals) to flush out the ants that the air can reach.  Gentle puffs - not prolonged.  Use the instructions for "cleaning the vents". It may help to eject the ants - at least somewhat.  Dead ants might be slightly smaller than live ants for reasons not worth explaining in detail.

HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating

Just Step 1 - ants do not need a BIOS update.

When you can get someone to help you, brave the case and get the rest of the ants out from inside of the computer.  They really should not be left inside.  Ants could get swept into the components (fans and other delicate equipment).

Good Luck.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Wasabi101 

I cannot think of any solution that won't - at the least - leave dead ants in the computer that would certainly need to be removed.  Add an "ant" phobia and the situation is not funny, but it is certainly tragic.

I think you need to consider that the ants must come out - and sooner is better than later.

If you can stand it, completely disconnect the power, take the computer outside, open the computer case and gently spray puffs of compressed air (no closer than five inches, for example) on the ants to dislodge them and flush the little beasts out of the corners and crevices.  This will likely freeze some ants but others may be blown all over the place - point the little blasts of air away from yourself.

You could also try vacuuming the ants - but you have to be careful, careful.  The components are delicate and too much power could pull something out of place.  A tiny battery powered vacuum might work - use one that is made for electronics, for example.

To kill the ants without spraying them with 'anything', you could seal the completely disconnected computer in a plastic bag - lack of air should kill the ants.  I don't know how long it takes; I have never suffocated ants or anything else, for that matter.  You would still need to remove the ants, of course.

HP Chromebook 13 G1 - Maintenance and Service Guide

Opening and removing the base, pages 19-20

or

HP ProBook x360 11 G2 Education Edition and HP ProBook x360 11 G1 Education Edition - Maintenance a...

Opening the case, pages 22-23

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

OR

HP ProBook x360 11 G2 EE Notebook PC

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Well, I really do appreciate your answer, and it was really fast. Like I said, I don't want to open up the computer, but I will definitely try the suffocation-idea. Thanks for the help! I really appreciate the super-quick response time. No wonder you are an expert! It is always good news for me when an expert at like level 15 responds to a problem of mine. Thank you! 🙂 

HP Recommended

@Wasabi101 

You are welcome.

We are here to help - icky ants are just as bad a problem as some other issues. 

You cannot use the computer when it is full of ants.  Wry smile here.

OK - no opening.  Best to open and clean, but yeah - ants.  Eww.

After the ants are dead, do try the compressed air (plain air, not chemicals) to flush out the ants that the air can reach.  Gentle puffs - not prolonged.  Use the instructions for "cleaning the vents". It may help to eject the ants - at least somewhat.  Dead ants might be slightly smaller than live ants for reasons not worth explaining in detail.

HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating

Just Step 1 - ants do not need a BIOS update.

When you can get someone to help you, brave the case and get the rest of the ants out from inside of the computer.  They really should not be left inside.  Ants could get swept into the components (fans and other delicate equipment).

Good Luck.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot! Big help. I managed to suffocate the ants after a while. I have an air-thing, that uses normal air, so I will do that. And yes, I do not like using my computer when their are ants on it, because when I was replying to your first post, I had five ants crawling up my arm, and seven crawling down my left; and so it looked like the ants were having an ultimate ant-ball super-bowl competition on my forearms. Eww. Typing this reply, I at least no longer have any ants sneaking up my arm unnoticed while I type. much more comfortable. Also, just wondering... Your username gives me the impression that you are a fan of Dragons? I am. For instance, I love the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini, one-of-many reasons is because it is one of the only series that well-suits my literacy. 🙂

HP Recommended

@Wasabi101 

You are welcome.

I am Dragon by birth - Chinese sign of the Dragon.

I am a long ways beyond the age group for the Dragon fantasy you mention.  Smiling. 

I have read a great many books, some of which are good fantasy stories - and a few of which do feature a dragon or two.  😁

Keep reading!  The world is larger for the act of reading a book.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you. You stay safe too! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.