Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 15-ax250tx Laptop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently my system freeze all of sudden. I thought my earlier antivirus bitdefender total was causing the problem, but now I have tried  -Mcafee total protection, Norton  and still my system freeze all of a sudden.

I have done a full diagnostic on my laptop no abnormality found on the hard disk.

I also done a full antivirus scan but nothing found. I did a system file checker but nothing found.

My system spec -

OS - Windows 10 64 bit pro

processor - i7 - 7700

HArddisk

1. 128GB SANdisk M.2 SATA - (Here the OS is loaded)

2. 1 TB 7400 rpm Hitachi 

RAM -

16.0GB.

Please provide some feedback

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@pranab223

Thank you for being a part of HP Forums. 

It'll be an honor to guide you through the steps needed to fix your concern or address your query 😉 

As I understand the device is freezing suddenly,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Does the PC restart on its own after freezing or do you have to hold the power button in to restart it manually?
  • Did you make any recent hardware or software changes before this issue occurred?
  • Have you attempted to perform a hard reset?

• Did you run a hardware test on the device?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

First, let's start with performing a hard reset on the PC to release any excessive static/power that could have caused the issue. 

• Turn off the computer. 
  • Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers. 
  • Unplug the AC adapter from the computer. 
  • Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory. 
  • Press the Power button to turn on the computer. 
  • If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key. 

Second, you can check if there is Bios update available for your PC, here is the link to download. 

  

Performing a test on the Hard drive as well as on the Memory from the Hardware diagnostics:  

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen. The test can take 2 or more hours to complete.

NOTE:

If the diagnostics are not available when using the F2 menu, run the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics from a USB drive. To download the latest version of the diagnostics, go to the HP Hardware Diagnostics website. For instructions, see Testing from an external USB device.

Depending on the test results, If the test passes then I would suggest you perform a complete system recovery.  

Note: Recovery will wipe off everything from the computer. If you have anything important get in touch with some local stores to get your data backed up. 

  

Click here to know: How to perform each step. 

  

For more details, you can try these documents as well. 

  

Computer Is Slow (Windows 10) 

Keep me posted,

For I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, if you don't get back to us 😉 

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@pranab223

Thank you for being a part of HP Forums. 

It'll be an honor to guide you through the steps needed to fix your concern or address your query 😉 

As I understand the device is freezing suddenly,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Does the PC restart on its own after freezing or do you have to hold the power button in to restart it manually?
  • Did you make any recent hardware or software changes before this issue occurred?
  • Have you attempted to perform a hard reset?

• Did you run a hardware test on the device?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

First, let's start with performing a hard reset on the PC to release any excessive static/power that could have caused the issue. 

• Turn off the computer. 
  • Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers. 
  • Unplug the AC adapter from the computer. 
  • Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory. 
  • Press the Power button to turn on the computer. 
  • If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key. 

Second, you can check if there is Bios update available for your PC, here is the link to download. 

  

Performing a test on the Hard drive as well as on the Memory from the Hardware diagnostics:  

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen. The test can take 2 or more hours to complete.

NOTE:

If the diagnostics are not available when using the F2 menu, run the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics from a USB drive. To download the latest version of the diagnostics, go to the HP Hardware Diagnostics website. For instructions, see Testing from an external USB device.

Depending on the test results, If the test passes then I would suggest you perform a complete system recovery.  

Note: Recovery will wipe off everything from the computer. If you have anything important get in touch with some local stores to get your data backed up. 

  

Click here to know: How to perform each step. 

  

For more details, you can try these documents as well. 

  

Computer Is Slow (Windows 10) 

Keep me posted,

For I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, if you don't get back to us 😉 

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation.

First of all the system freeze for few secs to a minute and then it automatically becomes normal. No blue screen ever encountered.

Moreoever I followed the steps as you have mentioned -

1. Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge - Done

2. Did an Extensive Hardware diagnostics  again - All passed.

I already updated Bios and all other drivers that are avilable in the Hp website few days ago. All the drivers are the recent.

I hate going for the option of system restore. Is there any other way to solve the problem.

Just for your information, I also did a troubleshooting and found the the antivirus may be the cause of it. I was using Bitdefender Total - I deleted and worked on my latop, everything was normal no freezeeing.

Then I changed the antivirus to Mcafee Total- It was working fine for few days and then again it started to freeze.

Then I changed the antivirus to Norton trial version, again it was working fine for few days then again it starting to freeze.

Now in my system I am having Norton antivirus (Trial version) and Malwarebytes -premium version.

I also did a full virus scan but no virus detected.

Please let me know your thoughts in this regard

HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you deleted all the Temp files and cookies from the system? Sometimes it happens when temp files make the system freezes all the time.

HP Recommended

Yes all deleted

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.