2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Random FPS drops on all games

HP Pavilion 15-ak002nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone.

I bought this  HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook - 15-ak002nl in February. As i love gaming and travel a lot, this seemed a pretty decent option for me. However, after the first 4-5 months of flawless use (while i mostly played games like The Witcher 3, Diablo 3, Dark Souls - all of them at a minimum of 35 fps), it began to show some issues.

Basically, once every 1-2 or more minutes (but this depends on the game i'm playing) fps drops by 50% or more, especially in more engaging and graphically heavy moments.  This happens on every game i'm playing (which is now World of Warcraft, but i also tried other games and the same thing happens). 

I tried updating drivers, reinstalling games, cleaning the inside of the notebook, using a fan beneath it, reinstalling Windows, reloading the default HP settings - with no use. I then tried with the HP telephonic assistance, which tried to change some graphic settings withing the nVidia control panel and installing some HP drivers. No use. 

At that point, they told me to send them the notebook so they could try to fix it. They kept the notebook for 2 weeks, after that they sent it back to me, claiming they changed the motherboard. And the problem is still here. 

I don't know what to do anymore, to be honest. This notebook should be able to run these games at a decent framerate, and it's not doing that anymore. Any advice?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3,304 3,302 178 338
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi@Jack901,

Thanks for choosing HP Forums. Library for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

FPS issue while playing the games on your PC. Is that right?

I will definitely help you.

The game is compatible with your system hardware, however, it may have a slow performance because you are using the windows 10 and the OS uses most of the CPU & graphics card usage, you might want to reduce the visual effects for windows to save the amount of CPU & Graphics card usage required to run your game properly.

Here's how you do it:

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.

• Type performance > choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.

• In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.

• click Apply and ok...this should do the trick.

If you don't like the way windows looks after the above step, you might want to consider upgrading your RAM (Memory card).

Let me know how it goes.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Jack901
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. 

I did what you adviced and the problem is still present. Still getting random huge fps drops.

I think it's relevant to note that the fan of the cpu seems to work less then when the problem was not present. Also, during games, the notebook is not that hot as it used to be - it's not heating. 

0 Kudos
Caster74
5 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It might be the power option, if it is on power saver or balanced put it on high performance. Right click on the battery from down right side of the taskbar and click power options.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation