Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Z3D15EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

I would be grateful for some guidance on my battery issue.

About a month ago the battery started failing to charge fully. It was last week when it would only get to 45% that I decided to search for an answer.

I have followed some of the  advice on this forum but to no avail yet. I tried calibrating the battery but every time I did, the battery would charge even less. After 3 attempts it now charges only upto 33%.

I also uninstalled it and reinstalled it and update the driver. I removed the battery and refitted it but nothing has improve it. The battery it just over a year old now.

General advice is to replace the battery when it gets to this state but I did not expect having to replace the battery just after a year. 

If anyone knows what the issue may be and how to overcome it I would very much welcome your advice.

Uli66

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The battery needs replaced. 1 year is a short life, I agree. If you are under warranty HP will replace it for free. If not then you need to buy a replacement battery. Post back if you need any help with that. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

You have tools available to test the battery and see its current state of health. There is a battery test in HP Support Assistant and then also in UEFI diagnostics (tap esc as you power on from full off, then F2 and component tests and battery test). Post the advanced output of the test. It will tell us how many cycles on the battery and the charge capacity of each cell among other things. 

(16) Battery 849909-855

HP Recommended

Thank you Provost,

According to the diagnostics the battery is ok, i.e. the test passes for both the battery and for the power supply.  I forgot to mention that when I tried calibration of the batttey the calibration process stops at 50% everytime.

HP Recommended

That is not good. The simple OK on the battery test can be a bit misleading is why I asked for the advanced results. A mechanic does not base a diagnosis on the "check engine" light. 

HP Recommended

Hello Provost,

I don't know if you meant all the details displayed when in BIOS diagnostics but here they are:

Primary Battery

Charge Capacity: 95%                                 Battery Status: Calibration required (21)

Warranty Type: 3                                          Failure ID: OK

Cycle count: 178                                           Terminal Voltage 7795 mV

Manufacturer: 313-42-31                         Design voltsge: 7700 mV

Battery age: 740 days                                 Cell voltage 1: 1.0 mV

Serial number: 03594 03/22/2016       Cell voltage 2: 3919 mV

Temperature: 28 C                                       Cell voltage 3:  0mV

Design capacity: 5350 mAh                      Cell voltage 4: 0 mV

Full charge capacity: 5094 mAh             Status: 00C0

Remaining capacity: 1155 mAh (22%) AC power: No

Current: -1431 mA                                       CT Number: 6FRQLN2GW21440

Second battery: Unsupported          

Battery 1:

Location                              Primary

Device name                     BP02041

Manufacturer                   313-42-31

Serial number                  03594003/22/2016

Capacity                              41195 mW Hour

Voltage                               7700mV

Chemistry                          Lion                 

HP Recommended

You are getting a very stange reading on Cell 1...it is also asking you to calibrate the battery

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04700771

HP Recommended

OK I don't know why that is but thank you for all your help so far. I don't really want to run another battery calibration.

As I explained at the start of my question I already tried 3 times to carry out the calibration process but it stops at 50% (half way) every time. And after cancelling (escaping) the battery stops charging at an earlier stage. It was 33% last calibration attempt.

Is it time to contact HP Customer Support for further advice? 

My battery is only charging up to 31%. Soon it won't be of any use. Quite disappointing, don't you agree?

HP Recommended

The battery needs replaced. 1 year is a short life, I agree. If you are under warranty HP will replace it for free. If not then you need to buy a replacement battery. Post back if you need any help with that. 

HP Recommended

Hi am having same trouble but on hp site it states my battery dosent get made anymore only had it for a year serial number for battery is 41195 mW .Hour  manufacturer number 313-42-31 voltage is 7700mV is there any other sites a could get one 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.