Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
14-am025na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, all.

Years ago (August 2016) from Amazon,co.uk, I purchased my then-new 14-am025na, and it's been a little trooper. Great laptop.

I've had to replace the screen and the battery/charger in the past with third-party components due to accidents, so I'm not afraid of cracking it open to maintain/upgrade it.

Time, however, has taken its time on its SSD: constant, daily use over the years has led it to become slow and sluggish, and it's showing the usual signs of degradation.

According to Windows and the HP Support Manager, it uses a SAMSUNG MZNLF128HCHP-000H1 -- presumably the same as this I found on eBay for identification purposes:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-MZNLF128HCHP-128GB-M-2-Solid-State-Drive-NOT-NVMe-or-2-5-A6/13317...

My questions are:

• What internal SSD types are compatible with my model of laptop, as I'm aiming to replace my stock, ailing 128GB with a higher-capacity one, possibly from Samsung or Crucial?
  • Can the processor be manually-removed and replaced with a more recent/modern Intel i-series, or is it soldered/permanently affixed to the socket?
    • If this is possible, what mobile processors are compatible?
  • What's the highest amount of RAM supported and what's the maximum MHz that's used? The stock RAM is a single stick of 8 GB DDR3L-1600 SDRAM, and I've been looking at a pair of 8GB HyperX HX321LS11IB2/8 Impact 2133 MHz DDR3L.
  • Can I pop-out and replace the DVD reader/writer with a 2.5 SSD via an adapter-enclosure like in other laptops?
  • The screen I used to replace my stock, damaged one: CHI MEI N140BGE-EB3 REV.C1 N140BGE-E43 -- is there a higher-definition screen out there than this I can replace it with? I do some freelance photoshopping on the side in the form of photo-manipulation, restoration, and retouch, alongside amateur 3D modelling in Blender/other suites.
  • And lastly, are there any other upgrades you can think of that might be beneficial? Like a keyboard component?

Thank you for your help.

Michael.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Midgarosormr wrote:

Hello, all.

Years ago (August 2016) from Amazon,co.uk, I purchased my then-new 14-am025na, and it's been a little trooper. Great laptop.

I've had to replace the screen and the battery/charger in the past with third-party components due to accidents, so I'm not afraid of cracking it open to maintain/upgrade it.

Time, however, has taken its time on its SSD: constant, daily use over the years has led it to become slow and sluggish, and it's showing the usual signs of degradation.

According to Windows and the HP Support Manager, it uses a SAMSUNG MZNLF128HCHP-000H1 -- presumably the same as this I found on eBay for identification purposes:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-MZNLF128HCHP-128GB-M-2-Solid-State-Drive-NOT-NVMe-or-2-5-A6/13317...

My questions are:

• What internal SSD types are compatible with my model of laptop, as I'm aiming to replace my stock, ailing 128GB with a higher-capacity one, possibly from Samsung or Crucial? Form Factor: M.2.  2280 Interface Type: SATA 3 TLC 6.0 Gb/s
  • Can the processor be manually-removed and replaced with a more recent/modern Intel i-series, or is it soldered/permanently affixed to the socket? That is unlikely. You can open it and check to see if it is a socketed type, but I suspect it is integrated onto the system board. There is no Maintenance & Service guide available for your notebook.
  • What's the highest amount of RAM supported and what's the maximum MHz that's used? The stock RAM is a single stick of 8 GB DDR3L-1600 SDRAM, and I've been looking at a pair of 8GB HyperX HX321LS11IB2/8 Impact 2133 MHz DDR3L. There is only a single memory module slot. The Maximum oinstalled supported memory is 16 GB.  see the link below
  • https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/hp-14-am025na/CT14145728
  • Can I pop-out and replace the DVD reader/writer with a 2.5 SSD via an adapter-enclosure like in other laptops? Yes. match the size in millimeters with an adapter from Amazon.co.uk
  • The screen I used to replace my stock, damaged one: CHI MEI N140BGE-EB3 REV.C1 N140BGE-E43 -- is there a higher-definition screen out there than this I can replace it with? I do some freelance photoshopping on the side in the form of photo-manipulation, restoration, and retouch, alongside amateur 3D modelling in Blender/other suites. No.  The connectors for the dispay are different, so a higher rez screen is not a viable upgrade.
  • And lastly, are there any other upgrades you can think of that might be beneficial? Like a keyboard component?

Thank you for your help.

Michael.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Midgarosormr wrote:

Hello, all.

My questions are:

• What internal SSD types are compatible with my model of laptop, as I'm aiming to replace my stock, ailing 128GB with a higher-capacity one, possibly from Samsung or Crucial? Form Factor: M.2.  2280 Interface Type: SATA 3 TLC 6.0 Gb/s
  • Can the processor be manually-removed and replaced with a more recent/modern Intel i-series, or is it soldered/permanently affixed to the socket? That is unlikely. You can open it and check to see if it is a socketed type, but I suspect it is integrated onto the system board. There is no Maintenance & Service guide available for your notebook.
  • What's the highest amount of RAM supported and what's the maximum MHz that's used? The stock RAM is a single stick of 8 GB DDR3L-1600 SDRAM, and I've been looking at a pair of 8GB HyperX HX321LS11IB2/8 Impact 2133 MHz DDR3L. There is only a single memory module slot. The Maximum oinstalled supported memory is 16 GB.  see the link below
  • https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/hp-14-am025na/CT14145728
  • Can I pop-out and replace the DVD reader/writer with a 2.5 SSD via an adapter-enclosure like in other laptops? Yes. match the size in millimeters with an adapter from Amazon.co.uk
  • The screen I used to replace my stock, damaged one: CHI MEI N140BGE-EB3 REV.C1 N140BGE-E43 -- is there a higher-definition screen out there than this I can replace it with? I do some freelance photoshopping on the side in the form of photo-manipulation, restoration, and retouch, alongside amateur 3D modelling in Blender/other suites. No.  The connectors for the dispay are different, so a higher rez screen is not a viable upgrade.

Thank you for your help.

Michael.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Exactly the info I needed.

Thank you for your time, and Merry Christmas.

Sincerely,

Michael.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.