Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp pavillion x360 convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi my HP Pavillion X360 Convertible just died ! so I opened it up and after some time I found that if I press the onboard power switch strip or remove the strip the board fires into life and boots up. Now without the power strip connected, I short the back of the power strip connector the board boots up again, I have some knowledge of laptops but this has me stumped. I get the correct voltage on the battery and the power jack connectors, but it just seems shorting the onboard power clip is the only way to bring this laptop to life. Any ideas please.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I know quite a bit about laptops and have never heard of a "onboard power switch strip".

Do you mean a header on the system board that the power jack connects to?

What is the reference and can you provide an image of what you are describing?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for the reply, i have took a picture of the suspect problem, when I put the power switch strip in the onboard connector or short them the laptop will boot up turn off and boot up normally? the battery is fully charged and i am getting 19v when plugged in. When I do this it just runs normal as it should. Any input would be most appreciated.

x360.jpg

HP Recommended

That is indeed a header on the system board.

If that is where the power button connector plugs in, I would suspect the momentary contact switch or its wiring to be a possible issue.

I am curious as to why you would short out the header without knowing the pinouts and voltages that should be there.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi the problem started when the laptop just died ! so i took it apart to have a look and as i took out the strip from the motherboard to the power switch the laptop fired into life and started working normally. I checked the voltage to the strip and the power going to the power switch and these were fine and the battery voltage. So I can put everything back together plug in power cord press power button and nothing will happen unless as I mentioned I take out the power strip or short the power clip lines on the back.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.