Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-br077cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am getting F30 when booting from ANY hard drive connected via the internal cable on a 15-br077cl. I have two hard drives that boot fine over USB but neither of them boot from the internal connector.

I have tried legacy and secure boot options to no avail.

Basically, I used Crucial's drive cloning software to clone the drive to a new SSD connected via a USB adapter. As soon as I swapped in the new SSD, nothing happens. I think maybe the ribbon cable that goes from the main board to the drive is dead, but nothing is physically damaged, and it obviously booted fine before the swap.

I have reseated the cable to the drive and the board multiple times, I'm sure it's well connected.

I'm trying to hunt down a cable, but I was wondering if there was anything I might be missing.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@phillyd32

I reviewed your post and I understand that the SSD is not getting detected.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Is the computer booting to Windows with the old hard drive? (With the same cable) If yes, then the issue is not with the cable.

Is the SSD getting detected in the BIOS?

Are you trying to boot with both the hard drives connected to the computer?

Meanwhile, I recommend you connect only the SSD and check whether it is getting detected in the BIOS. If it is not getting detected in the Bios then update the BIOS and check.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Please re-read the initial post. Both drives work connected via USB and neither work via the internal connector.

At this point I have been unable to find a replacement cable. If anyone knows where I could find one, that would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

@phillyd32

You can purchase all the replacement parts available for your computer from HP part surfer.

Follow the steps in the below article for detailed instructions.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00372736

Or else you can contact the support team and they will assist you in ordering the part.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

When I do this, it just says it's out of warranty and to post in the support forum. Please find the part number for the internal SATA cable (hard drive cable) for product number: 2DS98UA

HP Recommended

@phillyd32

Help me with your region (Country) in a private message and I will share the contact information.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.