Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
17-by1953cl

Can the illuminated keyboard L22749 be swapped in for the non-illuminated L22750 keyboard? The POC hinge support has busted and since I've got to replace the L22750 anyway  I thought I'd upgrade.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So, the BL connector on the 17-Whl-6L motherboard is the keyboard backlight connector. You can replace the non-illuminated keyboard with the illuminated one and it functions correctly. 

Course you're still stuck with the ***bleep*** hinge support. I reinforced that with epoxy. Just make sure you keep it out of the way of the hinges.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi@Jmorris9999,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the replacement keyboard. 

You may order the replacement parts on the HP Parts Store and for other countries, use the HP Parts Surfer to find the part number and If you've already looked for it and couldn't find it on the HP Parts Store, you may want to get it locally at the online store such as Amazon or eBay, etc...as the part numbers are universal. 

  

Alternatively, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started: 

  

1) Click on this link

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step: 

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Click on "Show Options". Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself! 

  

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, here's how private messages work: Click here for details.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

Have a great day!  

HP Recommended

That wasn't the question. I know all the part numbers. I can get the parts. The question is, can the illuminated keyboard be swapped in for the non-illuminated keyboard,  and function? 

HP Recommended

So, ordered the back lit keyboard. Cable for light is in perfect position for a connector on motherboard labeled BL. Sounds like a backlight connection to me. As it seems to be impossible to find a motherboard schematic I once again come before the collective to ask if it is so.

Thanks

HP Recommended

So, the BL connector on the 17-Whl-6L motherboard is the keyboard backlight connector. You can replace the non-illuminated keyboard with the illuminated one and it functions correctly. 

Course you're still stuck with the ***bleep*** hinge support. I reinforced that with epoxy. Just make sure you keep it out of the way of the hinges.

HP Recommended

Hi@Jmorris9999,

As per understanding keyboard and hinge are a different part >we recommend going with same part numbers or contact parts stores any alternative.

It has got good Intel® Core™ i5-8265U and checks with hp shopping for an upgrade ,

This sounds like hardware related issue with the hinge assembly and in order to fix this issue,  your computer needs to be serviced.  As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically.  HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

HP Recommended

I serviced it. Replaced the top cover/keyboard assembly. Reinforced prone to failure[1] area where the nuts are.

[1] in researching the replacement I encountered four others whose top cover broke in the hinge area.

HP Recommended

Hi@Jmorris9999,

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically.  HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.