Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
17by1053dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a 17by1053dx, three months out of warranty.  It's barely been used, probably only has about 48 hours on it total.

After an upgrade to latest version of Win 10 20H2 the DVD drive has become a little flaky.

Its icon shows in file explorer and disk manager, but if I load a CD or DVD, many times it's not recognized and its contents don't pop up (as is set for that device).  The disc spins up, but the icon remains a generic icon for a DVD drive.

If I refresh file explorer (the window that opens when you double click "My PC"), or if I double click the drive icon there, the icon changes to show a loaded disc and its title and contents then display.  No problems with reading the disc.

This behavior is intermittent. I swapped in a second identical DVD drive, and the same behavior exists.  I did a complete repair reinstall of Windows 10, and the problem is the same.

It's like Windows is sometimes having difficulty recognizing a newly loaded CD or DVD that's ready to go until reminded it's there.

I did all the usual things, removed its driver in device manager and rebooted, tried a substitute drive, made sure I had the latest Windows updates and HP bios, tried different discs that work on numerous other computers both commercial and written at home, etc.

Does anybody know of this issue?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi@scotsilv, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand the CD/DVD drive is missing from the device manager on your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

As you mentioned the DVD drive is missing from the device manager.

Try removing the optical drive from your laptop and reseat the drive back in securely and check if it is getting listed.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Unplug all non-essential external plug and play devices, especially cameras, and complete the following steps.
Click Start, and type "Regedit" into the Start Search field.
The registry editor window appears.
Select Computer in the main window.
Click File, Export, type a filename that is easy for you to remember, and click Save.
A copy of the registry has saved for back-up purposes to the Documents folder. If problems occur after using these steps, browse to the file and double-click it to restore the registry.
Click the plus sign (+) next to the following items in the list:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
Class
Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318. Make sure you have selected this exact key name.
Select the LowerFilters value and press the Delete key. Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

"I understand the CD/DVD drive is missing from the device manager on your PC."

You reached a misunderstanding of the issue.  Please reread my message.

HP Recommended

HI@scotsilv

The steps given in my previous post are to resolve the issue you mentioned. If the issue still persists its hardware is faulty need to replace the DVD drive. 

HP Recommended

No "lower filters" value at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Tried a substitute, identical internal HP DVD drive.  Symptoms unchanged.

Drive sometimes does not recognize a cd/dvd is loaded; needs file explorer (This PC) window brought up and then it "remembers" and cd/dvd contents appear.

this behavior  is intermittent and annoying.

HP Recommended

Hi@scotsilv,

We have done the basic troubleshooting as per the document and the notebook needs to check to get to know its hardware is faulty, not a software issue.

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

HP Recommended

I don't know how this could be a hardware problem.  The DVD drive is SATA and the SATA controller appears to be on the CPU.

I just played a two hour DVD without problems.

Writing to CD and DVD works fine. too.

The issue is at CD/DVD loading.  Sometimes it won't load until Windows Explorer is clicked on, or even the DVD icon clicked in Device Manager.  

Then the CD/DVD loads normally.

Other times it loads normally from the get-go.

Same problem when an identical drive is swapped in to the 17BY1053DX.

Seems to be a NEW DISK NOTIFICATION problem of some type.

HP Recommended

I just noticed this user comment posted a month ago at the Best Buy website (at https://www.bestbuy.com/site/reviews/hp-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd/6445801?varia...) regarding the successor computer to my 1053dx model, the 17-by4623dx.

Other than the newer 11th gen processor, the computers are almost identical.

This purchaser wrote about his brand new computer:

"The optical drive, one of the biggest reasons I purchased this laptop, does not preform like it should. I am slowly digitizing my very large CD and movie collection and upon inserting a disk the drive does nothing. I have to open file explorer and force it to read the disk so that it can be ripped to my library. Every computer I have ever had prior to this one automatically recognized that I've inserted a disk and I was able to tell it what I wanted it to do when the disk was inserted. This would typically just be a minor nuisance if I only used the drive once a day, week, month or year but as it stands I insert 15-20 disks a day and have to force it to read every time which has greatly slowed my progress."

This is the same behavior I note in my barely used, 15-month-old model 17by1053dx.

The new machine likely ships with 20H2, and this really sounds like a Windows bug.

HP needs to look into this 

HP Recommended

@scotsilv,

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Turn off your HP laptop.
  2. Disconnect all external devices (printers, USB drives, etc.) from your computer.
  3. Remove all recently added internal hardware.
  4. Press the Power button to switch your HP laptop on.
  5. Once your unit starts booting, immediately press the F11 key. Repeatedly press it until you see the Choose an Option screen.
  6. Select Troubleshoot.
  7. Choose Reset this PC.
  8. You can either opt to keep your files or to remove everything.
  9. Select Keep My Files when you want to retain your data. Once you click Reset, your operating system will be reinstalled. The process may take a while.
  10. Choose Remove Everything when you want to remove all your personal files.
  11. You can opt to remove everything solely on the drive where your operating system is installed. On the other hand, you can click All Drives when you do not want to retain any data.
  12. You can also fully clean the drive you selected or just remove your files.
  13. Click Reset.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

HP Recommended

Did that before posting my first message.

As in my prior post, others are having the exact same problem with this style HP laptop.  

This is a Windows/HP BIOS bug apparently affecting HP hardware.

Behavior persists even in Safe Mode.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.