3 2 1 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

17zca0000 upgrades

HP Recommended
17z-ca0000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased an HP 17z-ca0000 laptop.  The 1TB HDD is "nice" but very slow.  I would like to add an M.2 SSD, but need advice on which might work best as a primary drive.

I had been considering the Sabrent 512GB Rocket Nvme PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD with transfer rates as high as 3450 MB/s.  Is this a suitable choice?  Please advise.

Secondly, I uninstalled the Office 365 that came with the system and installed Office 2019 Pro Plus.  Unfortunately, the various splash screens indicate that Office 365 was installed.  What the ...?

Lastly, I attempted to upgrade the Windows 10 Home that came with the system using Windows 10 Pro.  After a six hour install session, the system reports that it still has Windows 10 Home installed.  This is another reason why I wish to install an M.2 drive so that I can perform a fresh install of both Windows 10 Pro and Office Pro Plus.  Will I have any issues in locating the appropriate hardware drivers, etc.?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ScottS_M2
Author
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay, so I lied!  I could not wait for the memory to show up, so I went ahead and installed the Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD.  Installation went swimmingly, but is probably not for the mechanically-inept, self-righteous technophobes, or card-carrying Ludites. 

I also reinstalled Windows 10 Pro, Office 2019 Pro (plus Project 2019 and Visio 2019), and a plethora of utilities and antimalware apps in record time.  Since the Sabrent 512GB SSD installed, when the HP manual indicates that only 128GB and 256GB drives are "approved", I suspect that the 1TB and 2TB models of Sabrent Rocket SSDs will install as well.  The SSD performance is well worth the modest cost.

My only lament is that I will have to remove the dozen screws once again -- several of which are cleverly hidden beneath the rubber "feet" at the bottom of the laptop -- once the extra 8GB DDR4 memory arrives.  Would HP please do us all a favor and retire the "engineer" who concocted this overly torturous design?  Just a thought.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Echo_Lake
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
24,380 24,338 1,118 1,151
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ScottS_M2
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

After reading your post, I did go through the Product specifications of your product and found that you have 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA hard drive installed on the PC.

To get the answer to this question, this computer supports M.2 solid-state drive. Check the below configuration:

For more information on store configuration, you can Refer 2 Chapter 1 Product descriptionhttp://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05985614

To uninstall Microsoft Office, perform the following:

1. Click Uninstall a program under the Programs and Features section.

2. Click Microsoft Office Starter and then click Uninstall.

3. Click the box by Remove all Office user settings related to this product and then click Yes to begin the uninstall, and follow the on-screen instructions.

4. Once the uninstall is complete, you can then reinstall Microsoft Office Starter 2010 as follows.
    If that fails Click here to download and run the removal program.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

ScottS_M2
Author
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.  Unfortunately, I already know the inadequate speed of the standard 1TB drive (5400rpm) and the "recommended" 128GB and 256GB M.2 drive specs mentioned in the manual.  I was asking whether a 512GB M.2 drive would install properly.  I already ordered the Sabrent Rocket 512GB NVMe PCIe m.2. 2280 SSD and it arrived only moments ago.  I will wait until an additional 8GB of memory on order also arrives (Samsung DDR4, the exact same specs as the first bank).  I hate the "new and improved" access on my new system, so I only want to go in once!

This is not my first rodeo, as I have been an IT professional since 1980, and have built a few thousnad systems over the years.  I currently use an older HP 17 (dv 9600) as my laptop, into which I had installed a 500GB 7200rpm drive and a mere 4GB of memory.  I use the system's secondary drive socket to periodically clone the primary drive as backup. 

Using an M.2 drive as my primary and the "slow" 1TB drive on the HP 17z ca-0000 will be an experiment.   I may be force to replace the original 1TB drive with a 7200rpm drive if performance does not meet satisfaction

As to the curious software B.S. that I had encountered, I will do a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro and Office 2019 Pro Plus on the M.2 drive and avoid any further issues.  I can only hope that Windows "finds" the proper laptop specific drivers during the installation process.  I will report my findings in this forum when (and if) complete.  Give me another day or two.

0 Kudos
ScottS_M2
Author
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay, so I lied!  I could not wait for the memory to show up, so I went ahead and installed the Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD.  Installation went swimmingly, but is probably not for the mechanically-inept, self-righteous technophobes, or card-carrying Ludites. 

I also reinstalled Windows 10 Pro, Office 2019 Pro (plus Project 2019 and Visio 2019), and a plethora of utilities and antimalware apps in record time.  Since the Sabrent 512GB SSD installed, when the HP manual indicates that only 128GB and 256GB drives are "approved", I suspect that the 1TB and 2TB models of Sabrent Rocket SSDs will install as well.  The SSD performance is well worth the modest cost.

My only lament is that I will have to remove the dozen screws once again -- several of which are cleverly hidden beneath the rubber "feet" at the bottom of the laptop -- once the extra 8GB DDR4 memory arrives.  Would HP please do us all a favor and retire the "engineer" who concocted this overly torturous design?  Just a thought.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation