Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

2017 13 Inch HP Spectre X360 4k Screen - Short Battery Life

Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just bought the new 4k 13 inch spectre x360. So far it has been great, except that I am getting nowhere near the advertised battery life. I have already researched these forums, and read the tips located here - http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c00596784 - and here (translated from Spanish to English) - http://h30467.www3.hp.com/t5/Consejos-de-Expertos-para-notebooks/Consejos-de-mantenimiento-de-Bater%... - and nothing has helped. 

In just 2 hours of up time with the screen set to 50% or less, I reached 20% battery remaining. This was only with web browsing and some office processses such as email and Microsoft Word. Do I have a bad battery, or is the battery life overall just not as good (or even close to) advertised? The laptop is less than 30 days old. 

5 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
13256 926 1378
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @wildcats88, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand that battery backup is short on your laptop compared to advertised.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC for better assistance.

Try running a battery test on your PC and let me know the results.

Refer this article to know how to run battery test and calibrating battery in windows 10.

Also, try updating BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

I have checked the records and I found a service advisory on HP Spectre 13-w000 x360 laptop.

The battery discharges rapidly even when the computer is completely turned off. The issue is caused by an incorrect TI Power Delivery controller firmware setting. It causes a leakage in 5V S5 power.

As the steps are confidential, I would be sending you the steps in a private message. Please have a check in your inbox.

Let me know how it goes!

Cheers! :)

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
jeffbellin Tutor
Tutor
5 0 3
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"Mr. Robot:"

I don't know if you are actually a person or just an automated response, but the kind of response you have provided is the very reason people are turning away from HP in droves!  What in the world could be "confidential" about steps to take when battery performance is sub-par, as is the case in a significant number of these recent models?!!

I have a new unit on order, but after reading how terribly you leave your customers to their own devices (no pun intended) when there are serious, common hardware failures (like the battery problems, the spontaneously cracking screens, that you are forcing people to pay $1,000 to repair when they are clearly defective).

After reading the posts in this forum, and HP's truly pathetic responses, I have decided to return the unit I have on order without even opening the box.  In fact, if I can cancel the order I will.

The "new HP" reminds me of the horror-show old HP from 2007-2011 and I want no part of it.  Designing pretty products that perform well in tests when they are first taken out of the box does not make you a world class pc manufacturer, and people have way too little time or money to waste sorting out the problems with your products and your terrible support.

Other owners within your return window: I strongly recommend that you return your product for a full refund before you are stuck with it.  Prospective buyers: don't!!

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
13256 926 1378
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jeffbellin,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Regards

Mr.Robot

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
wildcats88 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I received 2 PMs - 1 from a fake representative who when I googled, had multiple threads mentioning this "supposed rep" reaching out requesting lots of personal information only to never hear from the rep again. This person even had the "hp" next to their name, but there are 100s of reports of this person seeking personal info and never helping customers - therefore, must be fake.

The second was from "Mr. Robot," and had a procedure of flashing some type of file to my computer which did not appear legit at all. There is no way I am flashing an unknown file to my brand new computer. He said it was instructions for all units manufactured before 11/30/2016. Well my manufacture date is 2017, so what good would that have done anyway if it was even a legit file he was referring to?

0 Kudos
wildcats88 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

And now a second pm from the SAME fake hp representative! Are you kidding me HP?! Give me someone with a direct dial line that I can speak to.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation