Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
250 G6 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

With the current situation of some laptops not being available, looking at upgrading a current laptop spec is going to be a solution.

I have an HP 250 G6 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U (7th Gen) laptop with RAM 8GB (DDR4-2133MHz SODIMM), system board 832A 23.70. There are two slots available and one slot has 8GB kingston 2133MHz (DDR4)   l would like to upgrade to 16GB or 32GB RAM, but my IT guys say's the manual for the laptop is a max of 8GB.  HP 250 G6 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide details on Page 1 (makes no sense) 16 GB with 2x4096 or 1x8192.  Is the confusion over the memory modules? i.e. PC3L-1600 is max 8-GB and PC4L-2400 is max 16GB/32GB, but the manual does not reflects the difference!

Questions

1) Based on the Motherboard spec's, can I upgrade to 16GB?  

2) If I can upgrade to 16Gb, could I use any one of the below? which should I use

Option 2.1) 2 x 8GB Crucial  (DDR4-2400 SODIMM)

Option 2.2) 2 x 8GB HP(SK Hynix) (DDR4-2666 SODIMM)

3) What will happen if I upgraded to 16GB and the system is only set for 8GB, what are the risk and what will happen to the laptop?

Cheers Mark

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi, Mark:

Your notebook supports a max of 2 x 8 GB of DDR4-2133 MHz memory.

I recommend that you use the compatible Crucial DDR4-2400 memory chip recommended for your model.

Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM | CT8G4SFS824A | Crucial.com

Crucial RAM CT8G4SFS824A 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz CL17 Laptop Memory - Crucial (amazon.co.uk)

If you haven't installed a solid state drive, I recommend that upgrade too since you have to take the notebook apart to add the memory to it.

Western Digital WDS500G2B0A WD Blue 3D NAND Internal SSD 2.5 Inch SATA, 500 GB : Amazon.co.uk: Compu...

You can either clone your existing drive configuration to the SSD via a SATA to USB cable or use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook on the SSD.

Here is a link for how to use the cloud recovery tool.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10) | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Cheers,  I already had a SSD installed at the time of the purchase, just the memory needs to be installed.

Would I need to do recovery a backup / recovery tool if i am only increasing the RAM?

HP Recommended

Hi:

No need to do anything with the operating system or BIOS.

Just install the 8 GB chip and you will be all set.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.