Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
pavilion 15 ab549tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to replace my optical drive with an ssd. So i want to know the height of the drive caddy i should purchase? whether 9.5mm or 12.7mm height is the required height?

Please help me out. My model is HP Pavilion 15 ab549tx.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

From the Manual:

Optical drive Fixed, serial ATA, 9.5-mm tray load

You seem to know what you want to do but let me just toss out a couple things you may not have considered. The optical drive port is a lower speed SATA than the hard drive port. So if you put an SSD in there it will be running slower than it can. Also it is not bootable so you would be using an SSD just for storage. You may want to consider just putting a bigger and less expensive mechanical hard drive in there for storage. 

The laptop has ports for 2.5 inch SATA hard drives and a SATA-type M.2 disk so you can add a solid state drive that will work way better, just not in the optical bay. 

Service Manual

Post back if you need any more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

From the Manual:

Optical drive Fixed, serial ATA, 9.5-mm tray load

You seem to know what you want to do but let me just toss out a couple things you may not have considered. The optical drive port is a lower speed SATA than the hard drive port. So if you put an SSD in there it will be running slower than it can. Also it is not bootable so you would be using an SSD just for storage. You may want to consider just putting a bigger and less expensive mechanical hard drive in there for storage. 

The laptop has ports for 2.5 inch SATA hard drives and a SATA-type M.2 disk so you can add a solid state drive that will work way better, just not in the optical bay. 

Service Manual

Post back if you need any more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

i found that it does not have a M.2 disk support. so will it be ok if i put the hdd in the optical bay and ssd in the place of the hdd. Will i also be voiding warranty in doing so? These changes will be made by an hp service professional.

He says that only the warranty of the ssd and hdd will be voided, rest of the laptop will be in warranty, Is it true?

HP Recommended

I can't speak for how HP will handle the warranty but if you have it done by an HP tech you should be fine. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.