bNk8 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

2nd HDD caddy replacing optical drive for HP Pavilion 15-p263nl Notebook PC & Windows 10

HP Pavilion 15-p263nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone!

I am planning to add a SSD to my HP Pavilion 15-p263nl Notebook PC. I found on some sites that I can remove the optical drive and put a second drive using a caddy adapter into the optical drive bay. I found that some people on the forum have done it successfully, but nothing about my PC model. I want to know if it could work with my product.

In other words, there is my plan:

1-Remove the actual HDD from the hard drive bay and replace it with the new SSD.

2-Remove the optical drive and replace it with the caddy adapter containing my old HDD.

3-Do a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD, using a USB recovery flash drive made with my actual Windows 10 system (which was updated from Windows 8.1 by July 2016).

I already have a 120 GB SSD drive from OCZ (OCZ Vertex 3).

I have some questions before buying the adapter:

1- Will the two drives (my old HDD and the new SSD) be recognized by the motherboard / BIOS and the operating system (Windows 10)? Is there a limit of one unique HDD/SSD drive on the computer?

2- which dimensions does the adapter have to be? I found offers for both 9.5mm and 12.7mm that are said to be suitable for HP Pavilion generally speaking

3- Do these parts work together and with my computer (size, compatibility)? Do you expect any problem with this upgrade?

4- Will the clean install of Windows 10 work, since I plan to install it on a different drive than the one I used to create the USB recovery flash drive? I have never done a clean Windows installation before.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Alessandro

p.s. in this topic of the forum (from which I took the most part of the post) the solution worked almost perfectly, but that is a different Pavilion 15 product ^^

2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
73336 8906 19163
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

2nd HDD caddy replacing optical drive for HP Pavilion 15-p263nl Notebook PC & Windows 10

Hi,

1. Yes,

2.  Your machines uses 9.5mm SATA tray,

3.  Problem ? I can't answer this question because who knows anything down to the track.

4. I don't know how did you create recovery USB but a proper clean install should work.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
bNk8 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you very much!

As soon as the caddy arrives, I'll post the results of the upgrade :)

Thank you! ^^

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation