Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy17 cg1003ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Added a second SSHD to expand the NVMe SSD it came with, but Windows isn’t able to detect the second drive in Disk Management.

After being told to initialize the drive, tried transferring the SSHD to another computer and restored it to factory state with another computer’s set of recovery discs (wasn't able to initialize it externally), after which I re-installed it thinking I could just delete this created partition in Disk Management, but the same problem persists of the SSHD not showing up in Disk Management.  It still shows up in UEFI when I press F2 during startup, which suggests the drive is connected properly.  I even tried 3rd party disk management softwares, but those weren't able to see the drive either.

I noticed the Satus of the drive was "ATA Locked" under the Physical Disk Info in BIOS-Configuration - could that have anything to do with Windows not being able to see the drive?

What are the steps to unlock an ATA Locked hard drive if that’s the case?

Appreciate any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes that is what you need to do

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

ATA locked generally means it is password protected. Not sure why you recovered the disk to factory on a different computer. You want to scrub it clean if anything. What is the history of the drive? Someone placed some type of encryption on it and it can be very difficult to remove if that someone was not you. 

HP Recommended

I was upgrading to a new laptop and wanted to transfer the 2TB  SSHD from the old laptop to the new one.  Didn’t want to recover the new laptop to Factory as it already had stuff on the NVMe drive, so thought it’d be easier to just restore the SSHD on the old laptop/transfer it to the new and wipe/format it there.

I wiped the drive before transferring it, thinking it would start as a fresh/new drive, not realizing it would be LOCKED once transferred to the new laptop.

I know the PW to unlock it, so would I be able to unlock the drive by restoring it in the old laptop from backup, remove the password and RE-wiping it on the new?

HP Recommended

Yes that is what you need to do

HP Recommended

SUCCESS!  THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.