Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 755 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just gotten this HP Elitebook 755 G3 laptop, running the AMD A8 processor. It came with 8GB RAM, installed at the DIMM1 slot.

I put in another 8GB at DIMM2 slot, and BIOS recognized the RAM size change on boot, and I confirmed on the change.

But then, Windows only shows 8GB total. I installed CPU-Z, and it sees both RAM sticks, showing full details when Slot 1 and Slot 2 are selected.

What should be done to get Windows 10 64-bit to recognize 16GB total RAM capacity?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

One suspect is always memory compatibility....can you identify by manufacturer and part number the original module and then the one you installed?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If you open task manager/performance what does it show there for memory?

Have you tried modifying the memory settings in msconfig as shown in this tutorial?

https://appuals.com/windows-10-wont-use-full-ram/

HP Recommended

Task Manager also shows 8GB.

I will check on the msconfig article and see how it goes.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

I have checked on the guide, and the Solution 1, using msconfig, I confirm that there is no set RAM - the checkbox is unticked. So the limitation is not coming from there. I will check on the rest tomorrow.

HP Recommended

One suspect is always memory compatibility....can you identify by manufacturer and part number the original module and then the one you installed?

HP Recommended

I would agree up to this point that it is due to RAM stick compatibility. But I have a bigger problem now. I tried to see if HP Assistant will find some updates, like BIOS, which in many cases fixes the RAM detection problem.

Indeed, there was this 0.19 BIOS update. Mine is currently on 0.11 version. So I let the BIOS update run, and the laptop was plugged in, powered by the charger. And lo, and behold, on restart, I got the 2 long, 2 short error beeps, what I found out to be 2:2 cadence.

I called our local HP support, and as per the support guy, it could have resulted to a spoiled motherboard. The Windows Key + B (or V) and Power On combination did not work into anything but the 2:2 cadence. And with the warranty already expired, there was nothing that HP can recommend.

I am on my own, and I guess I will now try to get a mobo with A10 or A12 processor in the process. Thank you for all the help anyway. Kudos!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.