Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g series (g7t-1200)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi - I would like to upgrade my g-series (G7t-1200) to 5GHz and bluetooth.  

Specifically, I am trying to find a dual band (2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz) wireless and bluetooth 4.0 card to replace my existing Ralink RT 5390 802.11 b/g/n wireless card.  I upgraded my wife's old Toshiba (Win7) laptop to 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz wireless and bluetooth 4.0 with an Qualcom AR9462 / AR5B22 combo card.  But I can not find an equivalent card for my newer HP laptop.

In searching the forum, I found a recommendation for a Broadcom 4313 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi and 2070 Bluetooth 2.1+EDR Combo adapter.  However, I was hoping to find a  5G card and with at least abluetooth 4.x.  (the Broadcom 4313 is not 5G and runs only bluetooth 2.1)

Can anyone recommend a 2.4/5G wireless with bluetooth 4.x replacement card?

Thanks

Ajax14

10/3/20 - Update

Having done more research - HP has severely limited upgrades by "whitelisting" the network card and bluetooth adapters in the BIOS.  If you try to use a wireless card not listed in the BIOS, the PC refuses to boot.  However, HP never bothered to update the BIOS with newer cards like a 5GHZ wireless card. 

The BIOS is the only thing stopping my box from using newer cards.  I found a crazy workaround - boot the laptop in setup, "live" swap the wireless card while the machine is on and finish booting into Windows.  The card will work until you reboot.  Now, I know that is crazy - but it does confirm that the BIOS is the only limitation!

My bottom line - due to the limitations HP likes to place on its customers (and the bloatware they load a PC up with) I will not buy HP products and recommend that the next PC you buy in not an HP machine.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.