Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

HP ENVY  dv6-7245us   model C2M16UA  w/AMD A10-4600M APU. What is the maximum RAM supported and can it be upgraded to the AMD A12? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Service Manual:

Manual

Best compatible processor:

Processors ● AMD® A10-4600M 3.20-GHz processor (1600-MHz FSB, 4.0-MB L2 cache, DDR3, quad core, 35 W)

AMD A12 is brand new and uses a different socket I think or possibly all are soldered on (BGA). Not even sure there is a mobile version and I believe the A12 is not used in any HP laptops. 

Memory Two customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots DDR3-1600-MHz dual channel support Supports up to 16384-MB system RAM

8-GB memory module (PC3, 12800, 1600-MHz) 670034-001

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-PC3-12800-Notebooks-KTH-X3C-8G/dp/B0089MTP0W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

See p. 56 of the Manual. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The Service Manual:

Manual

Best compatible processor:

Processors ● AMD® A10-4600M 3.20-GHz processor (1600-MHz FSB, 4.0-MB L2 cache, DDR3, quad core, 35 W)

AMD A12 is brand new and uses a different socket I think or possibly all are soldered on (BGA). Not even sure there is a mobile version and I believe the A12 is not used in any HP laptops. 

Memory Two customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots DDR3-1600-MHz dual channel support Supports up to 16384-MB system RAM

8-GB memory module (PC3, 12800, 1600-MHz) 670034-001

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-PC3-12800-Notebooks-KTH-X3C-8G/dp/B0089MTP0W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

See p. 56 of the Manual. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thank You, Can you recommend an SSD for this laptop?

HP Recommended

Yes, although it can accept any 2.5 inch wide SATA SSD, I think the best is the Samsung 850 Evo.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OBRE5UE/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8...

HP Recommended

I noticed there is a newer model of this. Is there any benefit for the extra money?

HP Recommended

Are you looking at the 850 Evo, not the Pro? Pro is faster but significantly more expensive.  I have never spent the extra money for a Pro. 

HP Recommended
Sorry I was referring to the memory
HP Recommended

Better show me what you mean because the compatible memory is the compatible memory and there is nothing "newer". There is later hardware like DDR4 but it will not fit your laptop. 

HP Recommended
It was included on the link for Amazon.
HP Recommended

No the "old" and the "new" are functionally identical for you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.