Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
G42 415DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I am having a problem I can't seem to resolve.

I recently upgraded the RAM on my laptop from 4GB to 8GB.  My BIOS says I have 8GB installed.  Under computer properties it says 8GB installed, but only  3.74GB of this are usable.  The remainder, it says, is reserved for hardware.  

I have gone to msconfig and deselected maximum memory.  I have also selected maximum memory and entered 8192.  Neither of these things have worked.

I have swapped positions of my memory cards in their slots.  This hasn't worked.

When I use one of my old 2GB memory cards along with one of my new 4GB cards, it says 6GB RAM installed of which 5.87GB are usable.

I don't understand why I only have 3.74 usable when I use both 4GB cards.  

My BIOS is updated as far as it will go, and when I enter BIOS there is no option to allocate memory to any different processes.  

Someone please tell me how in the world I get my 8GB usable RAM.  Thank you.

Computer model G42 415DX running Windows 10 64-bit.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi.

Welcome to the forum andrewjvb.

It is possible that your computer only needs that amount of memory to run.

To increase virtual memory in Windows

Press the "Windows" + "X" keys and select System.

In the System window, enter the Advanced System Settings option. In the window that opens, go to the Advanced tab and click on Settings.

In the window that appears, locate under the option Advanced, under the section Virtual memory, and click Change.

Selects the system partition.

Click Custom Size.

Under Initial Size, type the Recommended that appears on your computer. (Pointed with red arrow).
In Maximum size, make the following formula: 1024 X Amount of RAM in the X 2 computer. (Example: 1024 X 8 X 2 = 8192).
Click Set.

Finally, click OK and restart the computer.

Press the icon""to say thanks, Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

I am proudly Mexican, a Computer Systems Engineer and a community volunteer.
If you found the answer helpful and/or you want to say “thanks”? Click the “ Yes ” box below Did I help solve the problem? don´t forget to click “ Accept as a solution” , someone who has the same query may find this solution and be helped by it.

HP Recommended

I'm not sure if this worked or not.

In virtual memory it does say that 8192 are currently allocated, so that's right.  But on my computer/properties it still says only 3.74 available.  And under memory on task manager it still says that 4.3 are reserved.

However my system seems much faster now.

It seems like it worked, but can it possibly have worked if properties and task manager are still the same?

HP Recommended

Use this tool to see if you can solve some kind of problem:Find and fix problems with devices and hardware.

If you think this topic is completely clear, I can click on accept solution.

If you found the answer helpful and/or you want to say “thanks”? Click the “ Yes ” box below Did I help solve the problem? don´t forget to click “ Accept as a solution” , someone who has the same query may find this solution and be helped by it.

HP Recommended

That tool did nothing.  System still says 8GB RAM installed and only 3.74 usable.  Virtual memory still says 8192MB allocated.  

HP Recommended

My computer is running games it wouldn't run before now.  But am I really taking advantage of the memory I have installed since altering my virtual memory, or have I just altered the way the hard drive works?  I don't really understand how virtually memory works.

Whatever the case, so far your suggestions have helped a ton.  My computer is running much faster.  I just don't know if I'm actually using all 8gb of memory I have installed.  😕  What do you think?

HP Recommended

If you use all the RAM but it was divided into two parts one only to run the operating system and another one for the hardware.

HP Recommended

Thanks for you assistance.  I take it you are saying my ram is in use but split in half between the opeating system and hardware. 

Whatever the case may be, your assistance has helped me a lot.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

very good.

HP Recommended

Hi Gold_Master,

Not sure if the calculation is accurate or no. Isn't (1024x8x2 = 16384)??

Selects the system partition.

Click Custom Size.

Under Initial Size, type the Recommended that appears on your computer. (Pointed with red arrow).
In Maximum size, make the following formula: 1024 X Amount of RAM in the X 2 computer. (Example: 1024 X 8 X 2 = 8192).
Click Set.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.